Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Strength Back After a Very Long Illness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:10 am 

so i'm posting in this forum because just as a rule i try and avoid the "general discussion"--and anyway this is kind of food related, i guess. anyway.

i'll try and keep short the background part of this, but basically what happened about a year and a half ago is a medicine i was taking for depression, instead of helping me, decided to turn into poison. it took about a year for doctors to figure that out and for me to quit the medicine, but pretty much the damage was done. i was hit pretty bad. over the course of the year where i was inadvertently poisoning myself i was gaining weight and losing weight and gaining weight at a pretty alarming rate and at the same time losing pretty much all the strength i had in my entire body. immune system shot, metabolism at an all-time low, and muscle strength almost completely diminished.

but i'm at a point now where i think i'm about over the hump; that is, i think i can really start concentrating on getting my strength back slowly, getting my immune system and metabolism built back up and so on. since the internet's not really being helpful on this subject and neither are my doctors, other than prescribing meds to fight fatigue, i wonder if any of you guys happen to know anything about building up the body again after it's taken a pretty significant blow, health-wise. just as a starting point, so i can start getting my life back just a little bit.

and i know i'm not a real active member of these forums anymore, but TaBB's always been pretty reliable, i think. so if you guys have any ideas i'd be real happy to try just about anything.

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Getting Strength Back After a Very Long Illness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 am 

i spent the last nine months doing this (from generally declining health + sudden string of viral infections) and was rewarded with swine flu

um

go easy on yourself, but get into a regular exercise routine and build it up gradually. it doesn't have to be a full workout, just ten minutes' or so of cardio (brisk walking, gentle swimming etc) a day will do (start at five or whatever under that you can comfortably manage if ten feels like too much), and a few whatevers on whatever muscle group you want to work on. i'd guess crunches or something would be a good place to start if you've developed a hiatus hernia (which is quite likely if you've lost general muscle tone re: the actions of adrenaline/epinephrine on different muscle types) because you'll feel more in control generally if you get that under control. don't be downhearted about this, but it's going to take you a while, at least six months. probably more like a year or eighteen months. but you can plan around that generally.

eat sensibly. i don't know what you weigh but if you need to gain weight eat like you intend to and if you need to lose weight lay off the pies i guess

eat fruit all the time, avoid fad diets

your immune system will return to normal in time but it can be a slow and frustrating buildup, and that first flu or whatever that comes along is going to feel like a bitch and really knock your confidence, so try to stay positive. think about the end goal: because of the steps you are taking now, this time next year you'll be physically as well as you could hope to be in January.

haven't really got time to go into this with you this morning and i'm away until the weekend really so

1. good luck

2. yeah it's a pain in the arse

3. my stamina still isn't where i want it after nine months

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 pm 

cinders, thank you! sorry about your illness, but thanks for the tips. i'll try not to get down-hearted

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 pm 

My illness has been short term (nasty blown appendix and related infection) but I'm going to be in this boat soon myself. I have trouble walking around a block as it is.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:39 pm 

swimming is magical.
im constantly tired and i can only get to jump start my body for exercise in three circumstances: swimming, yoga, or sexytimes.

i recommend swimming because it also feels kind of liberating not to have to carry my huge ass for a second.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 pm 

Dana, I have no advice for you but I am sorry to hear about your travails but very happy to hear you are doing better!

And since this is also the literature forum, I feel justified in telling you that I read the book that the Lon Chaney-as-a-gimp-gangster movie THE PENALTY was based on. I was surprised to learn that everything implausible and ridiculous from the movie comes straight from the book. I also could not believe how mind-blowingly sexist the ending was. Like if somebody had written the ending of that book today as a parody of old-time sexist attitudes, I would have told them that it was totally unbelievable.

Anyway, good luck on the rest of the recovery!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:06 am 

so i've given swimming a go and i love it. i go to the early morning swims with the elderly ladies, and it does wonders for my self-image. the only downside is old lady locker room times? but this seems good, swimming is good.

and thanks Matt! but really, that is just terrific to know that the Penalty is a book. i think it kind of goes without saying that Lon Chaney can just get away with just about anything, but thinking about that movie as having source material--just ugh. would you recommend it, for a laugh?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:09 am 

Andrew wrote:
My illness has been short term (nasty blown appendix and related infection) but I'm going to be in this boat soon myself. I have trouble walking around a block as it is.

i hope you start feeling well, Andrew! i'm familiar with the appendix business (mine didn't blow up or anything, though), so i really hope things return to normal for you soon.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:27 pm 

I'm good

teknodanish, Andrew, you two will also be good

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:04 pm 

Everything I am about to say is likely inapplicable to you because I have a low threshold for energy that is part of a condition that won't go away through retraining my muscles. But I am going to say it anyway because maybe it won't be inapplicable!

I have found that the toughest part about this is keeping from getting overexcited and overdoing it. It can be frustrating in the first few steps to just do a little bit, and then just a little bit more. This can be more a thing if you are doing an action that has more to it than just physical movement. Like, I often would try to go beachcombing for seaglass, and then on some days I would not find much at all and feel like I should extend my walk so I don't come back disappointed. Which just ended up exhausting me and forcing me to rest long enough that I lost any benefit of the workout.

I would say that a smart thing to do would be to time your workout, and even have a little alarm go off when you are done. And of course, you just slowly increase the number of minutes, like if you can do 10 minutes, you try for 15, or if that's too high, somewhere between there. And generally the longer you can work out the longer the increased increments should be. You really should try to stick to these times, and not convince yourself that you can do more than what you have decided to do, at least during the workout. If afterwards you reflect on it and decide you can increase your workout time, go for it, cautiously.

But basically, don't be impatient. It's a slow, long process.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 pm 

teknodanish wrote:
and thanks Matt! but really, that is just terrific to know that the Penalty is a book. i think it kind of goes without saying that Lon Chaney can just get away with just about anything, but thinking about that movie as having source material--just ugh. would you recommend it, for a laugh?

Yes, I would. You can get it free on Project Gutenberg. That's what I did! If you do it read it, please keep in mind that I do not condone its jaw-dropping sexism.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:42 am 

drazahoib wrote:
Everything I am about to say is likely inapplicable to you because I have a low threshold for energy that is part of a condition that won't go away through retraining my muscles. But I am going to say it anyway because maybe it won't be inapplicable!

I have found that the toughest part about this is keeping from getting overexcited and overdoing it. It can be frustrating in the first few steps to just do a little bit, and then just a little bit more. This can be more a thing if you are doing an action that has more to it than just physical movement. Like, I often would try to go beachcombing for seaglass, and then on some days I would not find much at all and feel like I should extend my walk so I don't come back disappointed. Which just ended up exhausting me and forcing me to rest long enough that I lost any benefit of the workout.

I would say that a smart thing to do would be to time your workout, and even have a little alarm go off when you are done. And of course, you just slowly increase the number of minutes, like if you can do 10 minutes, you try for 15, or if that's too high, somewhere between there. And generally the longer you can work out the longer the increased increments should be. You really should try to stick to these times, and not convince yourself that you can do more than what you have decided to do, at least during the workout. If afterwards you reflect on it and decide you can increase your workout time, go for it, cautiously.

But basically, don't be impatient. It's a slow, long process.

that makes absolute sense for me! patience, caution--i have trouble with these, especially on days where i feel i have some energy. i always seem to forget that a faster workout does not mean a faster recovery, and always seem to push myself too hard. so slow, steady, patient.

and if it's not too personal to ask, what kind of condition is it that you have that leaves you exhausted? it sounds a bit like something my little brother is experiencing at the moment.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 am 

my condition is that my ass is huge.

also im glad swimming worked! the other day i almost drowned and it was a fine day.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 am 

Duck wrote:
my condition is that my ass is huge.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 am 

oh no
im not gonna play that game again
because just like my humongous buttocks
its a slippery slope