Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me with an art!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:28 pm 

Hey team!
I'm doing a series of drawings for an art publication, and I need participants to help out!

What I need from you is directions.
A route you take regularly, walking would be ideal, but driving or public transit would also work. Something simple. Tell it to me in words, as if I had no map or phone or GPS to look it up, and needed all the relevant information to get from point A to point B. Please tell me your first name and what point A and B are (home to school, home to work, or work to the grocery store for example) and street names are sometimes useful, but you don't need to tell me what city your in or any addresses. The titles will be the first name and what it's directions of.

For example,

Andrew - home to the subway station

Leave the house by the back door, and go through the gate. Turn left down the alley. When you get to the the street at the end of it, this will be Hampton street. Turn right and go about three blocks in that direction, until it stops at a big busy street. This is Danforth Avenue. Turn right, and walk on the sidewalk until you get to the traffic lights. Cross the street at the lights, and continue in that direction along Chester avenue. On your left is Chester subway station.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'll post some of the work when it's done. I need to 50 unique pieces, so as many participants as I can get would be really appreciated!!

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Help me with an art!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:25 pm 

Kimball - parents' house to the rocky beach

Leave the house by the back door, and turn onto the driveway to your left heading down the opposite way you came out, follow it down past the bushes to the street. Turn right on Nantasket Avenue and walk maybe 50 feet until you approach the intersection. Cross the street over to the little patch of grass on the corner of the lagoon, walk maybe 15 feet as the grass curves away from Nantasket, then cross over to the other side of Point Allerton (Street?). This puts you right up against the seawall. To your right is a house, to the left is a strip of land with a road on it between the lagoon and the bay. Go left, staying in the bit of dirt and grass along the seawall. Keep walking for a couple minutes until you get to another corner of the lagoon, and a road along the other side of it connects. On your right the seawall stops being a tall piece of concrete, and is instead a stack of big rocks. Climb up onto the rocks, and then over onto a series of big rocks leading down to the beach. It's pretty easy to climb down them, and they are all stable. Then you are at the beach!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm 

Perfect! Thank you!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

Ryan - work to home

Walk down two flights of stairs and out onto Market. Cross the street, then turn right and cross the street again. Walk northeast past the cable car turnaround. Go through the walled-off path next to the giant hole at Market and Stockton, then turn left and walk up Stockton. Keep walking for a long time, going through Stockton Tunnel on the way. Keep walking. Turn left at the pho place and walk one block. Cross the street, turn right and walk 20 feet, and then open the door.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:00 pm 

zach - home to the nice gazebo

Out the front door and head left out of the courtyard. follow the sidewalk to the street past the car wash. Go left and follow S 1st W to Main St, which is the next stoplight. Go right, crossing S 1st W at the intersection, and keep going straight down Main for four blocks, past the Walgreens. Main St will split and a grassy median will start up as the road starts to transition into the entrance to the hospital. You're going to want to cross to the other side of Main Street here because there's a scary dog on the south side that will bark at you. Continue going east on Main. On the other side of the next intersection, the sidewalk goes kind of diagonal away from the street into the park and then splits. Follow the right-most path around the basketball and tennis courts. It will start winding up the hill past the old historical tractor. As soon as you pass the tractor, head left off the sidewalk into the grass and the gazebo will be straight ahead a few dozen feet.

Last edited by Zach on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

From home to the grocery store

Leave the house and go left. Go right at the park. Go right again when the street ends. Go a little ways and cross a busy street when you get a break in traffic. Congratulations! You have made it to the grocery store.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:44 pm 

Molly, Home to Some Pasture Out Back

Go out the garage door. Walk up the stairs and into the rock garden. Keep walking until you reach a barbed wire fence with a briar patch in front of it. Walk carefully through the briars until you find a break in the fence. Go through the break. You should now be in a large, hilly field. Usually they use it to grow corn or soybeans, but if you go in the late fall/winter/early spring it should be empty. Go left, up the hill, until you reach the crest. You should see a trailer home down to your left and a woods down in front of you. Go down the hill 'til you reach the woods (mind the small creek in front of it!), and then head to your left, hugging the woods so that the people in the trailer don't see you.

Go up another hill, hugging the woods all the while (but not too close, there's some obstructing vegetation between the field and the woods so you want to still be in the field) until you reach the top and see the forest turn to the right. Turn to your right and walk about 100-200 feet, then turn left and walk about 100-200 feet, then turn right and walk about 100-200 feet again, hugging the forest all the while. You should be at another barbed wire fence; downhill from there is the pasture. You can just sit here and admire the view, OR you can enter the pasture! If you head to your left, about 50-100 feet from there's a ditch that goes right under the fence. Somebody tried to fix it by tying a log to the bottom of the fence and shoving a rock under there, but you can duck under the fence pretty easy. (Make sure you don't rip your coat, though.) When you get out of the ditch, there's a nice hilly creek you can look at; it's got some pretty rocks and junk.

Uh, the entire walk here and back takes about 20-30 minutes, so I guess it takes about 10-15 to reach the pasture. Maybe a mile walk, either way.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 pm 

Øyvind – Home to waterfall in the woods

Leave the house. Walk east along the road until you get to the side road named Fegata (which means the Livestock Road). Follow Fegate south. Go under the railroad bridge. When the road turns west, follow it for a little bit until you see another road leading up a steep hill with a forest. Walk up the hill, under the highway bridge. When the road splits in two, turn left and walk east. Walk quite a long way. When you pass the second small building in the forest you are close. Then you will see the waterfall to your right and a road leading down the hill to the main road on your left.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 pm 

Ida- home to work (the library)

Go out the apartment door, down three short flights of stairs, and out the front door. Cross the parking lot and then go right. Walk two blocks past some shabby houses that have too many people living in them. Frat bros live in most of them. At the intersection with the nice, large yellow house on your side and the grey house with the blue door across the street, decide if you want to cross the street in front of you or just turn left and cross the street you've been walking along. Either way, turn left and walk another two blocks past several houses and small apartment complexes. The last block, the sidewalk will switch from concrete to red brick. You'll come to a red brick street, Juliette. Across the street is an old stone house called the Wolf Museum on the north, and a nice, light blue house on the south. Depending on which side of the street you picked earlier, you'll either need to cross diagonally (jaywalking) or just go straight across to the blue house then go left. At this point you'll be on a brick sidewalk going south. Continue south along the brick street for three blocks, past the pink quadplex, the elementary school (where the sidewalk turns back to concrete), a large grey house, a bank, some ugly office building (attorneys I think?) with nice landscaping, a white duplex with gravel for a yard, and a chiropractor. At the intersection of Juliette and Poyntz, press the crosswalk button and wait for the signal (this is the only street that has a crosswalk) and then cross Poyntz. This is the library, a big, squat building. Walk along the south side until you reach the parking lot entrance, then turn left and go past the southwest entrance. A little further is a black metal gate that says Staff Only. Go through it and you'll be in some sort of courtyard that holds the library's two main air conditioners. In about 50 feet, slightly to the left, is a large brown door next to a wooden picnic table. Go through it.

The entire walk takes about 20 minutes, maybe a little more depending on traffic. It's about a mile.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:00 pm 

Bad photo of them, but they're looking good, cuter than I'd anticipated. They're grey ink on 6x6" watercolour paper.

Only have a dozen so far and I need to have 50 done by like next week! Please send me more directions, beautifuls.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:28 pm 

Backstory: I have been meaning to go out for a couple days but I keep getting anxious and overwhelmed and not going, re: agoraphobia or whatever. This is what I mean to be doing, and I keep running through the paths in my head.

Apartment to 108 bus:

Exit the apartment, walk down the stairs, and turn left to the driveway, turn left again onto it, and keep going until you get to the sidewalk. Turn right and walk along Maple St. for a little bit, until you come to the first corner. Turn left and cross the street onto Dexter St. Walk along that street until it stops, and go a little bit around the corner onto Elm St. There's a crosswalk there, cross it! And just keep going straight between the parking lot and the playground. Maybe hopefully recess is not happening so it doesn't feel weird to walk past a bunch of school kids! Once you get to the street, turn right and walk along Pleasant St. until there's a bus sign. Stand there until the bus comes!!

Apartment to City Hall to get official trash bags because I guess we have to have official ones from the city to get them picked up, then that weird fruit market on the way back:

Exit the apartment, walk down the stairs, and turn left to the driveway, turn left again onto it, and keep going until you get to the sidewalk. Turn left and walk along Maple a couple blocks. Turn right and cross the street Cedar St. Continue onto it until you get to Pleasant St., and turn left. Keep going a couple blocks, and under the bridge for the train, and come to Commercial St. Cross the street and like City Hall is basically right there. I guess like, find some trash bags??? The internet says they are sold there, but I have no idea where, maybe ask a person. Then come back out! Cross Commercial again onto Pleasant, go under that bridge, but this time turn right onto Summer St. (after crossing it). Walk up along that street until you get to a weird place that calls itself a fruit market but has no fruit. Buy some cereal or whatever. Come out, keep going up Summer until you get to Maple St. again. Cross, and turn left. Walk along it a few blocks until you are home. Revers that whole driveway thing, go inside.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:31 pm 

Erica - home to boat ramp/river
Go out the back door and walk south down the driveway to the alley. Turn right (west) and walk down the alley about half a block to Lincoln Avenue. Turn left (south) and walk about 100 feet to 1st Street. Cross 1st Street (still going South) and continue onto the dirt road. After about 200 feet, you will reach the railroad tracks. Cross the railroad tracks and continue south. The road has a slight curve to it. Walk about 1,000 more feet, then the road will reach a Y. Stay to the right and walk around the curve, about 50 feet, and you will reach the boat ramp.

If you don't mind having more than one with the same name, here is another.

Erica - home to boyfriend's house
Go out the back door and walk south down the driveway to the alley. Turn right (west) and walk down the alley about half a block to Lincoln Avenue. Turn right (north) onto Lincoln Avenue and walk .3 mile up the steep hill until Lincoln Avenue ends. Take a sharp right (east) turn onto 6th Street and walk another .3 mile up and down hills until you enter The Ridge Mobile Home Park. Turn right (south) on to Maple Street and walk about 220 feet to the driveway of the second trailer. Turn left (east) and walk up the driveway to the porch stairs. Turn right (south) and walk up the stairs to the front door. Go in the front door.

I hope that helps! I could give you one or maybe two more if you need.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:46 pm 

Andrew there's something off about mine but I can't figure out what it is. I think you've got the blue house and the Wolf Museum switched.
Poyntz runs east-west, and Juliette runs north-south, and the Wolf Museum is on the northeast corner of the intersection of Juliette and the street you walk down to get there, and the blue house is on the southeast corner. You walk south to Poyntz after crossing Juliette.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:59 am 

Can the route be branched? There's slight variation on my commute to work depending on the which trains I catch. Or should I just give one option?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am 

Kevin -- from the house to the office.

1. Turn right at the front gate and walk until you leave the estate.
2. Go a little to the right to cross the road at the traffic light
3. Turn left and walk straight until you reach the road that joins the right of this one in a T-junction .
4. Turn right and go straight: walk uphill to the roundabout, level to the park entrance, then downhill to the smaller roundabout outside the church. This is all one road.
5. Turn left and walk through the leafy suburb until you reach the main junction. Cross at the lights, without turning (i.e straight through).
6. Go downhill til you see a bus-stop. The back entrance to the main grounds is through a small wrought-iron gate. There is a gravestone company to one side of the entrance
7. Straight through the small car-park and follow the little dirt path to the football pitch. Follow the footpath beside the pitch to the larger car-park.
8. Cross the road at the entrance to the carpark, on the opposite side to where you entered it. Walk into the main avenue of buildings.
9. Turn right on this avenue. Follow the path of the concrete canopy past the library and the pond, until you see a ramp leading down on the left hand side. This leads to the basement entrance.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:20 pm 

Erica: Don't mind at all having more than one by the same person! If you can come up with more, I'm be happy having 5+ by the same person.

Ida: I expect in most of them I made mistakes. I did my best, but that's part of the challenge of it, and I'm fully expecting lots of errors! All part of the game. I'm certain I misplaced the lagoon in Draz's, and several of them aren't North-South oriented properly.

Scooba: Why not give me two sets of directions, one for each route? I need lots of them still, more the merrier!

Draz and Kevin: Thanks!!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 am 

Erica - best friend's house to Spring Tank
Go out the front door walk down the path to Grant Avenue. Turn right (south). Walk about 50 feet to Second Street and turn right (west). Walk down Second Street one block to Lincoln Avenue. Turn right (north) and walk up Lincoln Avenue about 100 feet to the Spring Tank.

Erica - home to Post Office
Walk out the back door and walk south down the driveway to the alley. Cross the alley diagonally to the right (southwest) and walk across the empty lot, about 100 feet, to the sidewalk of First Street. Turn fully to the right (west) and walk about 10 feet to the steps of the Post Office. Turn right (north) and go up the steps and into the Post Office.

Erica - home to under the creek bridge
Walk out the back door and walk south down the driveway to the alley. Turn right (west) down the alley to Lincoln Avenue. Turn right (north) and walk about 100 feet and then turn left (west) and cross Lincoln Avenue and go into the city park. Continue west and slightly south through the park about 400 feet, zigzagging slightly to avoid the play equipment, until you reach the creek bank. Climb down the bank and turn left (south) to walk down the creek about 50 feet until you are under the bridge.

Erica - home to Ed's house
Walk out the back door and walk south down the driveway to the alley. Turn left (east) and walk up the alley about a block to Grant Avenue. Cross Grant Avenue and turn right (south) and walk about 15 feet up Ed's driveway. Turn left (east) and open the gate and enter the yard. Walk about 15 feet and turn right (south) and then walk another 15 feet to the back door.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm 

Ida- The library to home (Pokemon GO route): Go out the front entrance of the library onto Poyntz Avenue. Turn right (east) and walk to the end of the block (not very far, just two buildings). There will be a stone Episcopal church to your right (south side of Poyntz) and a stone United Methodist church on the north side of Poyntz. Cross straight/continue East and you will pass Colony Square, a large building that houses a bank and some other businesses, and enter "downtown". Keep going for two blocks. You'll pass the old Carnegie building, city hall, the veteran's memorial wall, and the old Wareham Hotel which is now apartments and the main floor is Harry's Uptown restaurant. All of these are on the north side of Poyntz (across the street from you). On your side of the street you'll pass some old buildings that have shops or restaurants in them, none of them really worth noting. Next to the Wareham Hotel/Harry's is the Wareham Theater. When you reach the end of the second block, turn right (south) onto 4th Street and head that way for about 3 blocks. There isn't much here to see. At the end of the 3rd block, cross 4th street and head east to the Flint Hills Discovery Center- about a block. Turn back north and head up 3rd Street 4 blocks. You should be one block north of Poyntz now. The entire east side of your walk will be the Manhattan Town Center (mall). When you reach the intersection at the end of the mall, turn left (west) and walk 5 blocks, past a big apartment complex, an abandoned grocery store, a dentist, and a CPA, then enter a residential neighborhood until you hit 8th street. Go north one block to the Presbyterian church, then go west one block to 9th Street. Turn north, and walk 4 blocks until you're at the corner of 9th and Moro. Cross Moro, and you'll be in the parking lot of the complex. Enter the building, go up three flights of stairs, and open the door on your right.

There's a longer route too but I'm terrible with street names and maps so I can't remember it right now.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:25 pm 

These are great! Will post more pictures soon. Please feel encouraged to post more directions if you think of them, team!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:54 pm 

From the snow building to home

leave the building via the north exit onto the big wide sidewalk. make a right onto this and go straight to the parking lot. follow the parking lot right and out to the street. you'll see an apartment complex driveway directly across from you. jaywalk across the street here and head into that parking lot. keep going straight down the hill in this parking lot. at the far end of the parking lot you'll hit a gate but it's usually unlocked and very easily hoppable if it isn't. this'll lead you into an apartment complex courtyard. keep going north down the hill through the complex until you reach the street. the hill starts to level off here. go left down this street, then right at the next intersection. about half a block down this street, you'll see a car wash on your left. you can cut through there if there's no one washing their car. otherwise, take the small pathway past the car wash into this apartment complex. sixth door on the right on the first floor is your destination.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:01 pm 

from home to the deli

left onto cape may ave, go about a quarter mile, right onto 9th ave. take 9th ave down to weymouth road, about half a mile or so, then continue going straight, crossing weymouth and also the train tracks that run parallel with it. immediately after the train tracks and running parallel to them is old weymouth road. take this about a mile and a half. the deli will be on "new" weymouth road on your left. you'll know it when you see it, it's the first commercial building you'll come to and has some picnic tables in the gravel parking lot.

Post details Warn user