[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Truth and Beauty Bombs • View topic - Truth and Beauty Bombs: The First Decade

Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truth and Beauty Bombs: The First Decade
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:49 am 

Holy shit you guys

Truth and Beauty Bombs was started approximately 10 years ago this week.
My join date on the old forum was November 11, 2004. I remembee there was a first iteration of TaBB before that, but I can't remember if it ran for a few days or a few weeks.
And then before that was the Talk About Comics forum, I think? How long was that around, and who here was on it?

Anyway, post your TaBB memories here. When did you join? Who do you remember? Feel free to link to the archives as well, it's weird and fascinating to read our old/young selves.

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Truth and Beauty Bombs: The First Decade
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 am 

Wow! That's crazy.

I joined back in 2008 because my girlfriend-at-the-time kept sending me links to stuff posted on the boards. There was some kind of video game music-making thing going on that I wanted in-on, so I thought "I like all of the links I get from here and I want to do this thing, so i should join."

I remember thinking it was really cool how everyone was from all over the place and yet still people that were from the same place I was from! Finding out Jo grew up in the same city as me was weird and cool, especially later finding out that we shared at least one acquaintance. TaBB seemed a lot more "worldly" than the other boards I frequented at the time; those were pretty much all people Easter Coasters from the United States. It was cool being part of a community with people spanning continents and with a less-centralized area of interest. I know these started as the Dinosaur Comics message boards, but, even from the (well, my) beginning, it always felt like that wasn't quite accurate. Maybe this is because I didn't come because of the comics?

It's strange looking back at how long the boards have been around, though! I remember feeling like I jumped head-first into this huge, thriving community, but now I see I've been a part of it twice as long as it had been around before I joined. Hell, old TaBB ended half of a decade ago!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:58 pm 

i signed up for the forum so i could take part in the original machine of death anthology stuff lol
id been lurking for a while before that, coming from ddc, but apparently registered the 6th of february 2006
tabb was a v.important part of my life for those five years before i left. more #tabb than the forums i guess. i remember joining #tabb and being very intimidated by dan from the internet. i think it was a "hey everybody, join irc!" night in early 06 and there were a lot of people there that we would later ban from the channel!
irc used to be so much fun, but its cool that a lot of the people worth being around are still around. sometimes i regret not using facebook because it seems like a lot of folks keep in touch that way and i miss a few people who dont post here anymore, but im glad tabb is still here and im glad that everyone who still posts is still posting and im glad that i came back this year. im kind of scared of when ryan decides to stop paying the hosting bills for this place. it feels like its always been here and always will be here, you know. but yall are like idk family? that seems too sentimental.
got me feeling all emotional up in this thread, thanks andrew

the archives are tough to get to re: search being so fucked on olde tabb but i went through the whole irc quotes thread and posted a personal best of here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4409&hilit=wikileaks

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 pm 

holy shit i just remembered tabb internet radio
that was awesome

does anyone remember when kevan and i tried to do a radio play based on the first issue of xmen? i showed up like an hour late and didnt rehearse so it was just like five minutes of kevan being really mad at me over skype and then brent's turn to play music

there are websites that do what tabb internet radio did now right? we should do that one of these days.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:22 pm 

wow you guys

i joined in 2005 i guess

that is a heck of a long time to do a thing imo

def feel like i grew up on tabb/#tabb

via being a 'kinda dumb teen' when i joined

basically feel the same as zach except i never really left

also a whole bunch of my very favourite irl people are people i met here so that's real nice imo! INCL. YOU ANDREW OFC

miss u radio tabb

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:18 pm 

I joined to participate in the Dino Comics Photoshop explosion thread, where users put T. Rex into video games. I remember being sort of intimidated by posters like Kundor and The Famous Mr. Klaw and Timefishblue (back when secret identities were still a thing) and a few others who just seemed to really BELONG, but looking at join dates, we all kinda got in this together. I know some of you came from that board that was before tabb, so maybe that's what it was.
#tabb was so much fun when everyone was around. I remember lowercase first name Tuesdays and how not changing your nick would actually get you kicked out. Did that start the trend of Tabbers eventually using their real names? I miss some of the old irc and tabb crowd, like swingbomb. His ability to incorporate that fat scooter guy into any themed avatar was magic.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:33 am 

Guys
Guys
Can we at least stay around till we are
Making threads about getting dentures
Because I want to see that

He could only step forward, and hold out his hand and say, “I’m not likely to forget you, Daneel.” “That is pleasant,” said Daneel, nodding gravely. “As you are well aware, it is quite impossible for me, while in working order, to forget you.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:35 am 

I want people to be making parrot threads about the
Threads about getting dentures

He could only step forward, and hold out his hand and say, “I’m not likely to forget you, Daneel.” “That is pleasant,” said Daneel, nodding gravely. “As you are well aware, it is quite impossible for me, while in working order, to forget you.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:36 am 

I want people to make jokes about
How you should not paint your dentures

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:53 am 

OH NO MY GLENN MILLER LP'S!!!!!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 am 

I joined tabb at some point
Tabb is a great place

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 am 

I joined because I liked dinosaur comics and thought the forum was funny
Right before I joined, a bunch of webcomics ppl (incl. Ryan north) had made napoleon dynamite character accounts and were acting out scenes from the movie

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:46 pm 

man I wish I had some glenn miller lps

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 pm 

I joined April 1st in 2007 after lurking for a while, and I can't remember what prompted it. I just know that all of my posts on old tabb sounded like they were written by a dumb robot.

oh ok I looked and it was me asking for suggestions from people for a top 50 list of dinosaur comics I was compiling.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 pm 

I first joined back in late 2007 because of Power-Up Comics. I'm not entirely sure what kept me around after that, so I guess all you guys must be pretty fun to hang out with.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:15 pm 

I joined in 2006 because Jessica Chastain (?) (I think named argonaut back then) suggested that I do so.

I don't regret it!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:23 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:14 pm 

I joined Tabb when I had just turned 14. I have accomplished nothing of value since.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:24 pm 

Keeping it consistent, I like that.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:13 pm 

i think i joined in aught-5 (just checked), so i guess I have been around for almost a decade
should pop in more often than i do,
i just find there's always a lot of errors when i try to read threads &c and can't be bothered

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:17 pm 

bully bully pigjaw :cry:

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:05 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:27 am 

touché.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:13 am 

i joined in 2004

i was going on a trip to the US to snog a jehovas witness

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:01 am 

Joined in '05

I was outrageous and annoying when I started, and I can't even read my posts on the old board, because they're so bad.

I found TaBB after getting really, really into Dinosaur Comics. I read the archive, and wanted very badly to engage with it, and to hang out online with other people who were into it, and to impress Ryan North with how huge of a fan I was.

The first thread I made was a truly horrible thread speculating about why the filenames for the Dinosaur Comic images skipped over the number 666.

First thread I remember really liking was the Sauce Magazine Awards Issue.

As I got to know the community better, I decided that I really wanted to impress everyone here, so I tried to do a whole huge amount of cool stuff. After a couple of years, some of it turned out good. Powerup Comics was good. Sonty Mick was good. Some of the gimmick accounts I made were good. Probably other stuff was good. I loved Gangsters in the Basement, but it has not aged as well as I'd thought.

TaBB was a major influence on my sense of humor. When I started here, I was doing my old comic, Too Far. The main reason I discontinued it was that TaBB didn't seem too into it. I started Unwinder's Tall Comics in an effort to use the kind of ideas I was coming up with on TaBB to write more interesting comics.

It was on TaBB that I plucked up the courage to ask out the girl who I almost married, and I went to TaBB when it fell apart.

Other great TaBB memories include unexpectedly meeting Beautiful Chaos at a graduation party for my friend who she later married, meeting Boorishly and Kfunque when they came to Minneapolis, and meeting Yarnisland just this year. I also enjoyed owning that Mafia where I was Beetlejuice.

I've been much less active on TaBB in recent years. The last couple of times that I've tried to instigate something, I've flaked pretty bad (I think I left a mafia in progress and never went back to it). I've tried not to get involved in stuff, because I've been afraid of ruining it by forgetting about it.

I still love TaBB as a community, but I don't need it so much anymore as a platform. I post all the thoughts I used to post on TaBB on Facebook and Twitter now. Which is kind of sad, because TaBB was a way better environment for experimenting, and building up a persona.

I also have an actual social life and tons of friends now, which cuts down on my TaBB-time. I give TaBB a lot of credit for helping me build enough confidence in my brand to carry it over to real life.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:27 am 

I met ;_; here and now we've been best friends for 3.5 years.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm 

Hey guys, I know I don't come here ever or even come on AIM or anything anymore. But it's still pretty hilarious (when I think about it) and also totally normal (when I don't) that some people I consider pretty great friends are people I have met five times in my life. Or never!

My life is pretty different from when I used to be on Tabb a bunch, so I doubt I'll ever make friends on a messageboard again. But I still talk with whatever Tabb folks I am friends with on Twitter and to a lesser extent on Facebook.

Anyway, if you guys ever wanna send me an email or whatever, just get in touch and I will give you my address. Or find me on social media?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:11 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:15 pm 

I miss TaBB a lot! This place definitely had an influence on me, and I wish I had time to participate still. It really rewards being deeply involved, so casual TaBBing is tough. You people are good people and I'm glad I know you.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:20 pm 

I feel like TaBB gets so little activity these days that you don't have to visit too aften to get into "deep" TaBB. But maybe I am tabbing wrong?

Post details Warn user