[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Truth and Beauty Bombs • View topic - Amazed that this place has held together

Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amazed that this place has held together
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm 

First off, sorry if there is a thread for old tabbers re-acquainting themselves with TABB. I didn't find it so I'm just starting up my own party.

I used to post as Tyrannosaurus Bob on olde TABB, and I'm kind of blown away that so many people from the old TABB are here! I also can't believe that it has been almost 9 years since I first registered. I was never really a prolific poster, so I'm totally not offended if no one remembers me, but I think it is awesome that the culture has outlasted some of the growing pains TABB suffered from over the years.

So, uh...hi everybody! I was 31 when I registered. This means I'm 40 now. This is probably pushing ancient compared to most TABBers. I guess the main topic here is 'holy shit a decade has just gone by.'

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Amazed that this place has held together
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:18 pm 

I registered 6 years ago. Welcome back.
Nobody talks about Dinosaur Comics anymore. Or webcomics in general, although there was a recent thread about webcomics.

I forget what we talk about here. I guess mostly we just find things on the internet.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:23 pm 

I don't view web comics as much as I used to - I can't remember the last time I checked out Dinosaur comics, though I still think Ryan is pretty brilliant to consistently make the same six panels interesting. I still check out Wondermark pretty frequently (is Malki! still around?) and being a computer guy XKCD still draws me in. I noticed that Nick is making PBF comics again.

Based on post count alone, I'm going to guess that Beneflops = TimeFishBlue.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:27 pm 

Beneflops=TimeFishBlue AKA Tommy but it is a shared account with Drew, whose original name I forget? He's just been Drew for so long...

Anyway, welcome back! I have a vague memory of you?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:34 pm 

My recollections about you are that you are really, really tall and like craft beer.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:35 pm 

Chen, you have to have been here more than 6 years. I've been here about that long and I swear you've been around at least a year longer than me!

Also, welcome back, TBob!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm 

I do like craft beer, but I'm not really really tall (unless you are very short, and it is relative). I'm moderately tall, like 5'11

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 pm 

welcome back tbob!

I also remember your username but no specific details. I joined may 2005 - not too long after you

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 am 

I don't remember you or anything, I just wanted to comment that I am fucking shocked that I joined before chmmr and ScubaGoomba. What the hell?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 am 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 am 

I'm curious to see if you're still programming. Java 4 lyfe

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 am 

SUP TBOB I REMEMBER YOU.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:02 pm 

Yup, I mostly use objective-c/iOS these days, but I still like to mess around with Spring MVC and javascript to keep up my web development stuff.

Andrew, I must have been confusing you with another guy...was there another Andrew who was tall?

ScubaGoomba, musically, I've been trying to work more on improvisation and sort of more social music. Jamming and stuff like that. I really enjoy the classical stuff, but I realized that I took that as far as I was going to, and I wasn't really growing anymore musically. I am toying with the idea of starting a small chamber choir or something because I can't find anything close by that isn't another goddamn glee choir.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm 

Cool! What instruments do you play?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm 

My primary instrument was classical voice and my secondary was classical guitar. I'm finding steel strings a challenge, as I'm so used to fingerpicking on nylon. It's funny that I've played guitar on and off for so long, but I had a lot of trouble using a pick when I was starting to do some jazz/folk stuff. Slowly getting the hang of it.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm 

Ah, that's awesome! I was trained as a classical saxophonist with some voice training, as well, but I've found that the transition into popular music is way more rewarding. I asked because I'm actually in a similar boat as what it seems from your page! I was a music teacher and am now getting a law degree so I can actually survive but, hopefully, will be able to keep up my music (it's working so far!). It's good to see a success story on that front!

What's your voice part?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:56 pm 

Lyric baritone, which sucks. Not quite high enough for tenor, not quite low enough for bass.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:58 pm 

Have you been frustrated by a lack of pre-modern saxiphone music? I imagine it would be hard to be really into, say, renaissance music and try to find stuff for sax.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:15 pm 

There are actually a whole lot of transcriptions out there. Most of the works I studied were various Baroque pieces, usually oboe, trascribed for saxophone. I generally had more trouble finding good modern saxophone music to perform. I enjoyed jazz, but I was never really a "jazzer," but I didn't want my recital to be all Baroque, Romantic, and Renaissance pieces, but most modern saxophone classical music is written for alto and not tenor or bari. The most fun I had was playing in saxophone quarters; it seemed that composers were more experimental (but not necessarily in a weird way) with the instrument in a small chamber setting.

And lyric baritone is such a great voice part! It really has the best of both worlds, you know? My voice training was after getting a job teaching chorus, so I never had a real placement (it was mostly "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MODEL PROPER SINGING TO 12 YEAR OLDS WHEN I DON'T HAVE A FALSETTO AND HAVE TROUBLE GOING ABOVE A MIDDLE C?!"); I'd say I lie somewhere in the basso cantante/buffo (but I really just want to be a profundo... or sound like Teddy Tahu Rhodes); I'd need to do more listening and comparing my voice to have a more solid idea.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:46 pm 

whoa you are straining my memory on musical terms. I'm glad you're not completely abandoning music for law. No offense, but that sounds like a crappy trade-off, but I guess being a programmer is no better. But you gotta bring home the bacon - it's hard to be all bohemian when you've got kids to feed.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm 

Haha, sorry. I sing low but I'm not generally a bass-hammer is what I'm saying.

I'm doing law as an extension of my education background; I'm planning to involve myself in education reform, but I wanted to know the law before I go around trying to change it, you know? But I really do miss being in front of a class!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:59 pm 

Tbob, I sort of remember you.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:33 pm 

Hey Unwinder! My recollections of you are also vague!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:33 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:32 pm 

hi im a noob nice to meet you TBob

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 am 

El Duderino you are not a noob you just still act like one!

We accept you! You are one of us! Now put on an avatar and make yourself comfortable already!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 am 

Welcome back, TBob! I remember you! You were old when I was old when we were younger.

I don't post as much, and I take long periods off. I am not at all sure what this place is for, still, but I admire the honesty that I feel is sort of the defining community value.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:52 am 

Post details Warn user