All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Fate of TABB bb2
We had a good run, let's call it 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Make a bb3, it must survive 92%  92%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: TABB has been HACKED :0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone it's me Ryan, the guy who is ostensably in charge of this!

I was poking around the file system here to remove the old PW ads that were slowing things down, and came across some files that suggest that this forum code (phpBB, never the most secure) has been hacked. Probably to distribute software, but it really could be anything.

SO IT'S TIME TO NUKE THIS FORUM.

Question: do you want me to set up /bb3, using a new and presumably auto-updated install that probably won't be hacked, or do we want to call it a day with this forum because everyone has moved to discord / whatever??

:cry:

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: TABB has been HACKED :0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:35 pm 

We have a few people who never made the shift to the discord, and it would be tragic to lose them. Or to lose the like, trail for old TaBBers to follow to find the discord.

But it feels selfish to ask for the forum to stick around, too. You have been so generous in keeping us around for so long. Whichever way this goes: thank you so much. I am glad to have so many friends I wouldn't have had if you hadn't have kept the forums around.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 pm 

Geez, I dunno
on the one hand the forum is at least like
slightly useful
in terms of the occasional discussion, people who don't go on discord, and people that haven't been around in forever
we have kinda closed the discord off from being publicly available because of some known abusers/predators from way back when showing up
but it is hard to justify setting up a whole new forum that is going to be so rarely used
plus the fact that all accounts will be new accounts means anyone can claim to be anyone(this was true for bb2 but people were at least active enough then that any hijinks would be called out)
if anyone has like
an idea of something more arty to do than a forum I'd def be open to the idea

Follow the 'innernet,' not the internet.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm 

Hi Ryan! :trex:
I hope all is well with Squirrel Girl and with life.

I echo draz's sentiments. Thank you for keeping this around so long.

Regardless of which way this goes (I haven't voted), is it possible / relatively easy to make some kind of offline archive of bb2's content before it's nuked?
A quick search directs me to http://www.httrack.com/ but I have no idea whether it's easy to use or accomplishes what I'm thinking.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:53 pm 

HI RYAN

Thank you for checking on us. Congratulations on all of your successes in life and career.

Does nuking this forum mean getting rid of it? Would we have an archive? Or would it be preserved like the last one?

I would vote new forum because I don't have a better idea. Everyone isn't in Discord even though I wish they were <3 but the forum holds a special place in our hearts, quiet or not.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm 

drazahoib wrote:
We have a few people who never made the shift to the discord, and it would be tragic to lose them. Or to lose the like, trail for old TaBBers to follow to find the discord.

But it feels selfish to ask for the forum to stick around, too. You have been so generous in keeping us around for so long. Whichever way this goes: thank you so much. I am glad to have so many friends I wouldn't have had if you hadn't have kept the forums around.

I'm of a mind with Draz on the matter. I'd love a bb3 because it would allow us to keep the people that aren't active on Discord and the board format does allow a lot of threads that may not really make it to Discord due to how quickly that moves (like all of the Thorsby comics!). I'm voting to get a bb3, but this is really just as a pipe dream. Really, Ryan, it's been a pleasure that you've been able to keep us up for so long; if having a third board without the benefit of PW ads to support it, isn't really feasible, then maybe we should call it quits :(

Is there any way to back up bb2? It's fun, sometimes, to pop back into bb1 to see old threads; it'd be nice to be able to do that with bb2.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:08 pm 

Cheston wrote:
http://www.httrack.com/

Reading their FAQ a bit now, I don't think this would do it.
It's meant more for capturing a series of HTML pages, not something that reads from a database. (unless I'm reading it wrong) :classichuh:

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm 

It'd be way too sad if there were nothing left of this. bb1 has been broken pretty badly for a while and that's sad enough…

Maybe you could do a database migration of bb2 and bb1 to some new software? Like even if you do a fresh start thing, you could start two more and import bb1 and 2 into them, make them read-only, and do something to keep existing links from breaking. If it's not too much work.

Even if there's no new forum, it'd be great to preserve everything by doing something like that.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:09 pm 

OH and I don't know what kind of software is out there in 2018 but like, wishlist, if you get something with a good API I can access then I'll be able to do stuff with my Discord bots to bridge that world with the site's, which would be pretty rad and hopefully would help keep the board a little more alive.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

What I'm thinking is setting up a /bb3 with just one forum - all the activity can be there, which will probably work better for less traffic! Given that the code base is compromised I'd want to delete bb2. bb1 was meant to stay up forever but it had a problem in the code too, and when the host upgrade the PHP, now all threads throw an error - hence the white page. I never fixed it because there would be TONS to update, plus: it solved the problem of people saying "hey uh maybe it's not the coolest that things I said literally a decade ago under my real name are still up there, can you delete them for me?"

So this would be the end of bb2 and the beginning of a much smaller bb3. It makes me sad that each iteration of TaBB is somewhat smaller, but also makes me happy that there's still so much demand (and love!) for TaBB. :owlysad:

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:23 pm 

I am def on board with dumping the past
It was good
but
it was good for then
we don't need it in the now

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:34 pm 

Ryan, when do you plan to nuke?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:43 pm 

Yeah but I was suggesting like, three separate installations, two with the old databases imported/migrated/whatever into new, secure software. All the code goes but the posts stay.

All the regretful posts are a real problem though... I don't know, there's so much good here I really don't want there to be no way to get at old stuff. Maybe you could just restrict those? Like, set it up so that if you're not logged into bb3 you don't get access to bb2 or bb1? And also robots.txt the heck out of them for good measure.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:48 pm 

Maybe just make a copy of the databases with the private messages and passwords dropped, and give it a few tabbers so I can have blackmail on everyone I MEAN so they can find some way to preserve what should be kept.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:53 pm 

Hi Ryan!

This is CAPTAIN LAZERS/daniel/wellgolly/-d-/zoey/whatever the hell else. If it's cool with you and everyone else, I'm a zillion percent willing to host this domain and get a bb3 happening.

I have a pretty huge personal attachment to the site - like, I've joined up when I was 15 or 16 and it's felt like a home and honestly affected my life in a big way. But also, it's hard to ask you to save something I haven't really used in like, 2 years. All "Ryan is our ruler/tyrant" jokes aside, I appreciate you hosting us all this time, and that this is pretty much a titanic favor and chore that you're doing.

If you want to talk stuff over, I'd love to take on the responsibility. I super want TaBB to outlive me. Like, the Discord is great and pretty much replaced this forum, but there's still a bit of magic I'd like to see preserved forever. Plus I got my F*R*I*E*N*D*S episode pitches on here.

Not sure why I formatted this like a letter,

Zoey Snyder

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:59 pm 

zoey wrote:
I super want TaBB to outlive me. Like, the Discord is great and pretty much replaced this forum, but there's still a bit of magic I'd like to see preserved forever.

qft

100% in favor of preservation.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:04 pm 

Ryan, please understand that we have not all achieved enlightenment like Drew.

The material world still holds power over the rest of us.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm 

Yeah, the decade-old posts under a real name thing are kinda why I was suggesting an offline archive.

preservation without googlability: the best of both worlds

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 pm 

HI RYAN

I think a small forum would be used and useful (and appreciated, just like this one has been. thank you!).

I'm also in favour of archiving or migrating the posts from bb2 if it's at all possible. there's so much good content here, it would be a shame to lose it.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:09 pm 

Please give us just a tiny single forum thank you

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:10 pm 

Yo, throwing in another vote for possibly preserving the place. I understand why people wouldn't want their old shame online, but that's what offline archives are for.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:09 pm 

Apparently I drifted away before y'all got this second forum and now it's going away? Time flies. Also what's this about a discord

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 pm 

there is no discord what are you talking about

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:21 am 

ur sowing discord amirite

anyhow yeah one tiny forum is my vote

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 am 

I second everyone who's said thanks so far.

A new forum sounds like a good idea, if only as a waypoint for anyone who comes back to TaBB after a few years away. It would be a bummer to just get a 404 error, or a domain expiry notice.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:31 am 

There’s a discord???

TaBB will never not be an integral part of my consciousness (awesome? Sad?) no matter what. If an archive of bb2 is possible without requiring crazy time/effort and bad virus stuff coming along that’d be awesome, but if not, while it’ll be sad to think it’s all gone to the ether, at some point everything asplodes anyway, even stuff on the internet. Which is not how I thought the internet would be way back when but kinda thankful it is.

I don’t think I’d use a bb3 but if there are people that would and someone willing to host it that’d be cool!

Also discord invite plz??? xyloart hash 9975

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:39 am 

Hi Ryan!

drazahoib wrote:
We have a few people who never made the shift to the discord, and it would be tragic to lose them.

I'm one of the people who never made the shift to the discord, but let the record show that it would not be tragic to lose me

I don't really care whether there's an active, happening php forum but I agree that it would be a tiny bit heartbreaking to lose the archives. It would even be nice to have the BB1 archives back online somehow, but if this is more hassle for you, or you sense that the amount of things people regret writing is too high, then don't worry. But my feeling is that the good outweighs the bad enough that it would be sad to lose it.

(For one thing, it means that the world will no longer know about Silent Garfield or where it came from, and that everyone thinks that Garfield without Garfield which doesn't make any goddamn sense is the original incarnation of the 'altered Garfield' trope. But no big deal.)

In any case, thanks for having left it on for so long! and for benevolently leaving it alone even when you didn't want anything to do with us! Cornily echoing everyone else, I'm grateful for all the friends I made here, which include two or three of my all-time closest life connections.

The Beneflops wrote:
we have kinda closed the discord off from being publicly available because of some known abusers/predators from way back when showing up

who? (pm me if you don't wanna say out loud)

and can I get in, if I ever want to?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am 

should I join the discord

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:52 am 

oh, melissa, fyi I think of you att because one of our subcontractors at my job is called andy clark

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:54 am 

oh, and if googleability is an issue then just robots.txt that shit, no?

Post details Warn user