Do not fear the reaper

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: bing thew
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:12 pm 

don't let them get wet

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm 

Final Exercise in the Chinchilla Care Examination: Single out the :twisted: evil :twisted: chinchilla.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:35 am 

get a nice cage (if you have room a big cage), wheel for running, many chew toys, ferret-hammock for sleeping

change bedding regularly, if you begin to notice any odor you've procrastinated too long

get a cool fishbowl or something for dust baths (fishbowls are better than some of the junk they sell in pet stores cause you can see them twirl around and it's fun to show off to people). they bathe in volcanic ash cause their fur is so fine. they hate getting wet (gremlins) and you'll notice after playing with them for a little while, they'll run straight to their bath to wash off the oil from your hands.

raisins are nice snacks (also adorable cause they'll hold them like people)

chinchilla's are nocturnal, so let them chill during the day.

they have two main defense mechanisms besides biting, one: they release clumps of fur, like a little puff ball to distract you while they make a break for it; two: they rear up on their hind legs and piss at you. if you're chinchilla is doing either of these things it means you're freaking it out, don't do that.

they also make little squawking/barking sounds when they're distressed.

if you want to play with them outside the cage, don't let them run around unsupervised, they will find whatever is most valuable and destroy it. they also love to chew on power cables and gas lines. i usually let my chinchilla run around for a few hours every night, but chinchilla-proofing my apartment was a constant battle cause once i thought everything was safe she'd fine something else to get into. before you let them out, check for holes in the walls or like, gaps in the kitchen counter cause if they find an opening they will bolt. ditto if you have doors they can crawl under (they're fat balls of fur but it's mostly fur, don't be deceived). if you want to block a room, do it with something opaque, if you use a baby playpen door that they can see through they'll focus their attention on chewing through.

depending on their temperament, they don't like to be handled, but eventually they'll climb on you or sit next to you on the couch. if they get really snuggley and try to bury their head in you, it usually means they're sick.

if the fur around their mouth and chin is wet that means they've got teeth trouble, usually due to not having enough chew toy options, if it gets really bad the vet has to file them down. prolonged teeth issues will cause them to stop eating.

fun fact, if you hold them and flip them on their back their tail will spin like crazy (like Tails from Sonic) cause they use their tail to right themselves when they flip over. it's amusing like, "evolution wow!" but no need to torment the poor thing.

they love to run and jump against the walls, parkour/free running style, but they learn their environment by slowly exploring the whole room, memorizing all the distances and then they run like crazy. they have to memorize the room first, like a blind person. moving a chair is the same as moving apartments cause they have to reexplore and memorize the room again before they can play.

all the chinchillas i've known have loved playing with other pets. dogs usually get along with them but cats can be hazardous and the chinchillas won't realize till it's too late. don't expect the chinchilla to defend itself or escape, they're nature's jalapeƱo poppers.

warm/cool 60-70 dry temperatures are their favorite. they can get heat stroke if it's too hot and freeze to death if it's too cold (both have happened to my sister's chinchillas :( barring any untimely death they're actually supposed to live pretty long, like 12-20 years.

i think that's everything? post pictures!

Last edited by thew on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 am 

oh yeah, change the dust in the dust bowl around the same time you change the bedding in the cage. also the dust will get friggin' EVERYWHERE so own a feather duster.

also they will poop their little poo-pellets EVERYWHERE so be ready to sweep them up or have a dustbuster handy. the good news is the poo-pellets are dry and as sterile as poo can be i guess. if the poo is not dry pellets then your chinchilla has problems on the inside and you should get that checked out.

OH YEAH, don't forget the hay, as part of their diet, they need hay. this is related to the poo thing.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 am 

one more: if the chinchilla starts to lose it's hair or chew it's hair then it's got stress issues (happened to a friend of mine' chinchilla)

unrelated: some chinchillas like to eat shoes, some don't. cross your fingers that you get one that doesn't like to eat shoes cause they can chew through a shoe QUICK. their memory is too short to train them not to, but a spray bottle or compressed air can will scare them off when they're doing something bad.

one more one more: some hardware stores sell clear plastic corner guards to put on the corner of a wall, these are GREAT for protecting walls and furniture that the chinchilla would otherwise eat through.

ok i'm done (for now)

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:41 pm 

i am thankful

Post details Warn user