Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Me Do
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 pm 

I recently cleared out my To Do list, which seems like good timing to do something with myself.
But there are too many things I'd like to do. I'm hoping to just focus on one or two.
I considered making this a poll, but then I don't get to hear nuanced opinions.
I won't even necessarily do the thing anyone lobbies for, but I'd love to hear your general thoughts.

Category 1: Lingering Tasks
A. Go through the boxes of stuff in my garage.
At this point, I've unpacked everything "useful"... with some exceptions, like medicine-cabinet-ish items are all in one box, and I just visit the garage when I need an Ibuprofen or Band-Aid. But there's a lot of other stuff in boxes and suitcases, such as too many khakis, knick knacks, mementos. I don't actually know what I'd do with all this stuff, so this task is more about figuring that out than physical labor.
B. Fix my previous computer.
Hopefully so much time hasn't passed that repair places can no longer fix a 2006 MacBook. It sucks that it's broken, but also I barely trust anyone to touch it? I think I already backed up the data, but I don't have a ghost image (or is that Windows only?) so I think(?) I'd lose any installed software.
C. Decorate the new apartment.
This one is bittersweet, because I still don't have confirmation about whether sale of the property will prevent me from continuing to live here. Regardless, most people who've seen the place have commented about the bare walls. This is more than just using a hammer, because I would need to make crippling decisions, get some things framed, etc.

Category 2: Getting Creative
D. Do anime fan art.
Whenever I go to anime conventions, I see the artists alley and want to run a booth in one. This doesn't work well if I don't have art of popular anime characters.
E. Build a new game.
Eyeball Knights is a long way in the past, and I haven't been doing games professionally in a while either. I would enjoy building a JavaScript game (or possibly Unity), regardless of whether it's an Eyeball Knights revival, a puzzle game, a fighting game, a dating sim, whatever.
F. Paint abstract paintings.
I don't know that I need to describe this one. You know what abstract paintings are and why someone would do them!
G. Make a comic
This is probably an even deeper buried love than making games. I was making comics when I was like 6. I pretty continuously made them until some point in my 20s. Why do I not make comics anymore?

Category 3: Culinary Endeavors
H. Make Korean food
A gift my brother gave me this past Christmas was a graphic novel full of Korean recipes AND a box full of ingredients that these recipes use. I love the idea, but I would need to buy other ingredients and maybe know what on earth I'm doing.
I. Improve my pizza-making skills
I've made pizza before, but I've learned some tricks since then, and I want to put these tricks to the test.

Special Category: Already Accounted For
J. Learn to swim.
I've registered for adult swim lessons in July at the YMCA.
Maynard James Keenan chose this one.

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: What Me Do
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 pm 

Do I and while you are doing that, get one of the category 2 things started.

Once the category 2 thing is started, do A or C.

Just thinking that I is probably the least emotionally demanding of these. And the category 2 stuff is emotionally demanding to get past that first hump but has momentum when you've started it. Allowing you to take on some emotionally draining life thing.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 am 

so an over ten years old laptop, that you have apparently already replaced, is like

why not just go all the way and get an SE/30 or PC/XT or something else old enough that at least nerds will respect you for using it

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm 

Good advice, draz. Thanks! :owlyhappy:
I may not be able to do any of it in the short term, because it's supposed to be 97 degrees this weekend!
But I'll give it a shot.

Dezro, this wouldn't be for nerd cred, although maybe being the first Intel Mac makes it a lil' historically important? (debatable)
Mostly I just want it to work again.
If my PowerBook from 2000 can work, this thing can.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:02 pm 

it's a year late to be the first, iirc

even if there is value to you in keeping the machine, you can probably get another one off eBay for way less than it'd cost to repair. but unless you need a Rosetta-capable machine for some reason I really don't know why you'd want to keep one of those plastic slabs around.

A 2000 POWERBOOK, THOUGH?
DUDE, THE PISMO WAS NICE
much better idea to pour money into that imo
like maybe replace the cells in its battery with newer/nicer ones, or dig up a wifi card if you don't already have one.
max out that RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:34 pm 

Quote:
The original 15-inch MacBook Pro was announced on January 10, 2006 by Steve Jobs at the Macworld Conference & Expo.[4]

You are right I liked the Pismo better. It does already have upgraded RAM, although I don't know if it's maxed out.
No wifi, and yeah, I bet the battery is in rough shape.

But it's dual boot (9 & X) which is pretty neat, although each OS has a different way of changing the boot and I forget how each version works, so hopefully the internet has bothered to keep that info somewhere.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm 

oh, it's a pro? even worse, that aluminum :\
I must have got the date confused with the original announcement or the release date of 10.4 or something

in OS X you go into System Preferences and click Startup Disk, and in OS 9 I think there's still a Startup Disk Control Panel
you might be given a choice between them if you hold Option while starting up? I don't know when they added that but I get the feeling it was after 2000

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm 

I'm gonna expand upon Draz's advice: do some of these things simultaneously. Do F and C together, and if you don't feel weird about it, throw D in there too. You should probably put your medicine cabinet things away; heat can do dangerous things to medicine.
Cook Korean food one night after abstract painting. Or vice-versa.
Do pizza and anime art.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:28 pm 

Make your comic a fanart comic. Make the characters do sexy things to each other. Sell that for $$ at artist alleys.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:33 pm 

do item A
bring a fully empty box to the garage, decide what goes in it, start unpacking the others
bring ur dang medicines into your home

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm 

if you do things simultaneously PLEASE DON'T COOK PIZZA IN THE POOL

also combine computer repair, making a game, and decorating the apartment into clearing out a big empty space and building a nice new PC so you can make a VR experience

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:37 pm 

Relatedly, who needs decorations when you can buy a HoloLens!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 pm 

If you want to decorate your place you should do that. Buy some of those removable sticky hooks and poster hangers, but get the good ones or they'll take the paint off (although repainting isn't hard if your current paintjob still looks fresh and the colour won't be hard to match), and then it doesn't matter so much if you have to move.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:21 am 

Thanks, everybody!
I like Ida's suggestion of combining things. I thought tonight might become pizza and abstract art, but making the dough took too long and too much energy. Now I'm just going to sleep (while it rises).
I did go through a lil' bit of stuff in the garage, too.

andyclark wrote:
bring ur dang medicines into your home
This is v reasonable, but it actually conflicts with
crazydiamond wrote:
heat can do dangerous things to medicine.
My garage stays way cooler than my apartment. This is actually the reason I went through some stuff. It was v hot today, so it was a good place to cool off.

Long-term they should wind up inside anyway. A choice becomes whether the keeper meds should go in a bathroom drawer or in a plastic bin in the linen closet (which is mostly board games rn, not linen).

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:20 pm 

Tom wrote:
Long-term they should wind up inside anyway. A choice becomes whether the keeper meds should go in a bathroom drawer or in a plastic bin in the linen closet (which is mostly board games rn, not linen).

haha one of our bathroom closes is half filled with board games too and no linens

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:06 pm 

Category 1: Lingering Tasks
A. Go through the boxes of stuff in my garage.
Bring your medicines inside. Many of them degrade under heat. Leave the rest of the junk in the garage, sell it, or give it away. You clearly don't need it!

B. Fix my previous computer.
Whatever software was installed, can be installed again, probably. If you forgot what was installed, you probably don't need it anyway.

C. Decorate the new apartment.
I don't know what you mean by crippling decisions, unless you mean crippling your friends that throw shade on your naked walls. There's nothing wrong with naked walls. But if you must, get a poster of all of the spices.

Category 2: Getting Creative
D. Do anime fan art.
This is a good one.

E. Build a new game
Same as above.

F. Paint abstract paintings.
Sure.

G. Make a comic
I don't understand you completely. Only you know which of these four creative activities you truly love. Which ones do you spend the most time consuming?

Category 3: Culinary Endeavors
H. Make Korean food
You want to make your brother happy, which is fine, but you're afraid of screwing up, which you should be. Remember that not all recipes are ideal. You may need to look online for multiple versions of the same recipes to get a better idea of what you're doing.

I. Improve my pizza-making skills
Whatever you do, don't put a pound of bacon on a pizza.

Special Category: Already Accounted For
J. Learn to swim.
Sounds good.

I hope this helps.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:12 pm 

How is your garage cooler than your apartment?? I change my answer. Leave everything in the garage. Do everything in the garage.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 pm 

chmmr wrote:
Bring your medicines inside. Many of them degrade under heat. Leave the rest of the junk in the garage, sell it, or give it away. You clearly don't need it!
If I gave away everything I didn't need, I'd have food and shelter, but no CDs, no khakis, no half-used tubes of caulk...
Oh wait, your first option was to leave it in the garage. Aye aye, cap'n!

chmmr wrote:
Whatever software was installed, can be installed again, probably. If you forgot what was installed, you probably don't need it anyway.
It's not like I have the install discs just chilling around (maybe I have some in the garage boxes). A lot of it I don't know if I can get anymore.

chmmr wrote:
I don't know what you mean by crippling decisions, unless you mean crippling your friends that throw shade on your naked walls. There's nothing wrong with naked walls. But if you must, get a poster of all of the spices.
I'm not planning to buy new wall stuff. That's how I got here in the first place.

chmmr wrote:
This is a good one.
Thanks!

chmmr wrote:
Same as above.
Thanks again!

chmmr wrote:
Sure.
Thanks?

chmmr wrote:
I don't understand you completely. Only you know which of these four creative activities you truly love. Which ones do you spend the most time consuming?
I truly love all of them. Consumption is for chumps.

chmmr wrote:
You want to make your brother happy, which is fine, but you're afraid of screwing up, which you should be. Remember that not all recipes are ideal. You may need to look online for multiple versions of the same recipes to get a better idea of what you're doing.
My first attempts would be fairly direct versions of whatever the book says. Looking for multiple versions sounds complex.

chmmr wrote:
Whatever you do, don't put a pound of bacon on a pizza.
Ha ha. That is something I would do, but I'll avoid it.

chmmr wrote:
Sounds good.
Thanks!

chmmr wrote:
I hope this helps.
Thanks!

chmmr wrote:
How is your garage cooler than your apartment??
My guess is it's based on windows. The garage barely has windows. My apartment has big windows.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm 

Cheston do you have a lunch period at your work? You could work on D at work over your lunch, as long as you're okay with like quick little doodles or things like that.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:08 pm 

Idea:

A comic that is abstract aside from some anime characters, who maintain the abstract narrative via being mostly symbols for cultural commentary. It's an interactive comic where you maybe create the content in part by what you do within a game. Like maybe your character's path through the level becomes a squiggly line, etc. Even text could be generated based off of character action?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:21 pm 

crazydiamond wrote:
Cheston do you have a lunch period at your work? You could work on D at work over your lunch, as long as you're okay with like quick little doodles or things like that.

I have lunch, but it's not really a specific period. This idea works well when I work from home, but that's not super often.

drazahoib wrote:
Idea:

A comic that is abstract aside from some anime characters, who maintain the abstract narrative via being mostly symbols for cultural commentary. It's an interactive comic where you maybe create the content in part by what you do within a game. Like maybe your character's path through the level becomes a squiggly line, etc. Even text could be generated based off of character action?

This sounds pretty fun! I could actually drop the anime portion, because anime was only involved for the sake of having a con booth.

Meanwhile, I did start a small abstract painting.

I also tried a pizza and met with horrible catastrophe! The dough recipe I tried was much harder to stretch than usual (kept tearing), and it got stuck to the peel so much that I had to cut it into mini pizzas to move it (this part was my fault; I should have floured the peel first).

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 pm 

:(

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 am 

Mini-pizzas are good though, right??

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 am 

Yeah, they were fine eating-wise. Tomorrow I'm hoping to use the other dough ball for guests, and I want it to not be some clumsy mess. The end product wasn't just mini. It also had pieces of cheese that looked like I rolled them in sauce for no reason (they came off when I was trying/failing to slide the pizza off the peel as normal).

As for stretching the dough, I'm going to try taking it out of the fridge an hour in advance.
This is a friend's suggestion. Supposedly it will be more cooperative if it's warm.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:03 am 

Try, try again.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:05 am 

That's the abstract art. :P

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 am 

I need to empty the clothes-filled suitcase in the garage so that I can use it for traveling soon.

I ran a khaki count on it. 8 pairs. I guess they're technically not all khakis... I am calling non-jean, non-cord pants "khakis."
Anyway, I'm washing 3 of the better pairs rn and will see if I can jam those into my closet.
Do I ditch the rest?
I think we were talking on Discord about how thrift stores mail all the clothing to Africa and even there no one wants it.
This garage might be the best life these pants can lead.

Post details Warn user