Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: psychics out of sci-fi
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm 

I've read some Connie Willis. She's often trying to be funny, not always succeeding. I thought Bellwether was pretty meh. Her best book is To Say Nothing of the Dog which is funny.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm 

The only connie willis I've read (listened to) is doomsday book
And it didn't seem like she was trying to be funny at all in it
P. Sure it didn't have a single joke

Follow the 'innernet,' not the internet.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:31 am 

im reading a 40k with clones

clones out of scifi

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:41 am 

Haha yeah there
Really does not seem to be any justification for
Clones to be a thing in anything

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 am 

Now copies of a person, that has it's uses

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:20 pm 

Twin are v. important if you’re going to do a wacky drawing room farce.
So too are clones important if you’re going to a wacky sci-fi-drawing room farce.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:30 am 

I saw Infinity War. I enjoyed it more than Ultron or Civil War. There were about a billion ways it could have been better, though. Whoever scripted it clearly didn't have confidence in telling the story in an intelligent, steadily building way (I.e. having it follow Thor teaming with the Guardians, heading to Earth, etc). Also I know it's headed for a "didn't count", but having several major, fan favourite characters die in quite sad ways and then slam straight back into wacky hijinx pissed me off a bit.

Thanos is a great " insane but sincere" villain, though, and I'm hoping the sequel involves Nebula wrecking everyone's shit, because they have been building to a "Nebula flips her shit" moment for a few movies now.

There are psychics, though. One telekinetic and an empathy. The telekinetic was a great villain who was killed off for an admittedly pretty solid joke.

Honestly, pretty good movie but the whole deal is starting to show signs of Bond syndrome, and pretty soon there's going to be a Moonraker.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:30 am 

I saw Infinity War. I enjoyed it more than Ultron or Civil War. There were about a billion ways it could have been better, though. Whoever scripted it clearly didn't have confidence in telling the story in an intelligent, steadily building way (I.e. having it follow Thor teaming with the Guardians, heading to Earth, etc). Also I know it's headed for a "didn't count", but having several major, fan favourite characters die in quite sad ways and then slam straight back into wacky hijinx pissed me off a bit.

Thanos is a great " insane but sincere" villain, though, and I'm hoping the sequel involves Nebula wrecking everyone's shit, because they have been building to a "Nebula flips her shit" moment for a few movies now.

There are psychics, though. One telekinetic and an empathy. The telekinetic was a great villain who was killed off for an admittedly pretty solid joke.

Honestly, pretty good movie but the whole deal is starting to show signs of Bond syndrome, and pretty soon there's going to be a Moonraker.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:37 am 

Been waiting to read that infinity war post until I watched infinity war
But I haven't watched infinity war yet D:

I finished lord valentine's castle
The last part was the best part (everything I listened to after going back to it)
The beginning was the second best part
The whole big middle was just stuff I hated

The ending was typical for a silverberg re a shocking ending that you could guess from the beginning of the book but that's because it's the perfect and only possible ending
And it
Kind of makes me wsnt to listen to the next one, but that's probs a trap
I couldn't stand it

It's v.v.v.v. psychic
It's set on a planet that was colonized by humans thousands of years ago
But there are lots of alien races on it now
And there was an alien race there before the humans got there, who are like colonized ppl irl
And they're shapeshifters

Technology past, like, the renaissance was forgotten
But there are still some (barely) machines from the human settlers
And ppl remember that space travel used to happen
Etc.
But everyday life is like life in the usual fantasy setting
With alien races instead of elves, dwarves, etc.
And it seems like technology was lost maybe on purpose because feudalism was imposed on everyone on this planet for some reason
Seems like
The rulers were losing control of ppl in olden times and went back to feudalism to keep it
Re thought that that was the only way for 1 group to rule 20 billion ppl on one planet

Something like that

The psychic thing is mostly re "sendings"
Everyone can send dreams to other ppl
But only 2 elite ppl have machines that can amplify and direct them:
The lady of the isle, who sends good dreams, prophetic dreams, warnings, only useful things
And who is p. Much a god but is mortal and gets replaced when the old one dies
And is always a woman (the most famous lady of the isle was trans)
And the king of dreams, who is like a hades kind of guy and he sends bad dreams to punish criminals

More later...

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:37 pm 

i want to read more books about ghosts

but specifically warhammer 40,000 books about ghosts

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 am 

Started listening to the Strugatsky Bros ROADSIDE PICNIC and it is so good so far. I love the movie STALKER but the book is definitely different... funnier and less opaque and seemingly will follow a different plot. Like I only just started the book but they have already gone into the zone and almost come back out. So curious to see what happens. Hopefully whatever it is doesn't suck.

I think I will definitely read more Strugatskys. There are a few of them available as audiobooks.

Also I bought a whole bunch of not-too-expensive audiobooks so I am pretty committed to the format now for the foreseeable future. But between driving to/from work and household chores and going to the gym, there is a lot of time that I was not using before that I can now.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am 

So I just finished listening to all the current Foreigner books v recently and I think I want to do a review of the sequences
I am probably going to write more about the series in general here because I have been having So Many Thoughts about it re: listening to 19 books of it in the past 6 months or so

Sequence 1
An average sequence and very heavy on the worldbuilding. On revisiting it is a bit rough to see Bren making dumb choices att, but I guess that is this the "character development" that everybody goes nuts for in fiction att.
3/6

Sequence 2
Great great great sequence. I am probably biased but I love stuff to do with ships and stations and interspecies communication.
2/6

Sequence 3
Probably the low point of the series for me. I am not a fan of action and I am def less interested in the Atevi than I am in humans and this whole arc is v v Atevi focused. Probably enjoyed this more on the first go through because I was learning about the Atevi, but the second time through I already knew this stuff.
6/6

Sequence 4
Still an Atevi focused arc but it has less action and fairly interesting Atevi lords involved so I like it better than 3.
5/6

Sequence 5
Yet another Atevi focused arc and I enjoyed it about as much as sequence 4. It pushes ahead a bit just because I do like Irene a lot and think she is probably going to end up being one of the most interesting characters in this series when she grows up.
4/6

Sequence 6
By far the best arc. There is a revelation in here that feels like it should have been obvious but Cherryh at least managed to make it a surprise to me and through the best possible way. I can't stress enough that the conclusion of that situation gets the strongest response of "yes" from me. I don't care about spoilers usually but I don't want to do anything that would discourage people from reading these books because I think they are Important. But gd is this one good arc. She probably should have made this sequence two books though as the third book does not really connect with the first two as a story arc and connects much more strongly to the first sequence 7 book but I guess that would have been an infelicity.
1/6

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 am 

What is the "1/6" stuff?

Also, good to know that I started listening to it as an audiobook for the low point in the series

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 am 

Ahhh I'm really excited

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am 

I listened to the 3rd gateway book
Heechee rendezvous
And I enjoyed it a lot
I'm guessing that it would annoy a lot of ppl tho
Re it kind of sounds like the narrator is some old man at a fireside telling a story to his grandchildren
Not re the content, re it's still completely horny and zany, just the way it's narrated

Everything you could have wanted to happen with this series happens exactly the way it should
Juan (is that how his name is spelled???) is an amazing grownup villain
To save the day, sigfried von shrink has to psychoanalyze the albert einstein program and then robin has to psychoanalyze sigfried von shrink
V. Satisfying
It has a few non-scifi ideas/opinions that I'll remember forever and use irl
In addition to lots of great scifi ideas that I'll remember forever but not use irl
It's also the funniest one

I'm having a hard time figuring out
Whether there are
More books in this series
Some things say that there aren't
Some things say that there are 3 more????
If anyone's read these, what gateway book do I listen to next

Anyway, I'm listening to the next foreigner book now
And as drew says
It seems like it's going to be atevi-heavy
And the low point of this series is going to be like the high point of anything else

Post details Warn user

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25