Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars [SPOILERS]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:24 pm 

look just because it's not in any of the official materials and mainly exists in the hopeful minds of Internet people doesn't mean it's not canon

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:26 pm 

It's Canon because she had droid EOS-70D take pictures.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm 

episode nine is all about preventing Kylo Ren from distributing their sex tape

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostro ... ertainment

I especially like the last point:

Quote:
In all, the Skywalkers are a pretty mixed bag: powerful, but emotional, petulant and frequently tempted by the allure of evil. It's Ben Kenobi in the earlier episodes that is truly virtuous, noble and pure of heart. He's our true hero. He's incorruptible. He sacrifices himself at the end of A New Hope to show Luke the power of faith in the force, saving him and the galaxy in the process.

Wouldn't it then make complete narrative sense for a Kenobi (Rey) to be the true hero of the saga -- perhaps even saving the soul of another conflicted Skywalker (Ben Solo/Kylo Ren) later in the new trilogy? How satisfying would that be to learn that the nine episode arc is really, underneath it all, about the Kenobi family and not the Skywalkers?

My favorite moment in the series comes in Episode 5 when Luke has abruptly and hastily cut short his training and Force Ghost Obi Wan laments, "That boy is our last hope." Yoda replies, "No... there is another..."

Written originally to be a reference to Leia, how dramatic would it be for the "another" to ultimately mean a Kenobi? After all, we do learn pretty quickly in Episode 7 that Leia never becomes a Jedi. If Rey is a Kenobi and if by the close of Episode 9 she's brought "balance to the force," then all of the previous movies take on a new meaning. Even Obi Wan's Force Ghost from Episodes 5 and 6 takes on a much more spiritual purpose than to just provide convenient story exposition. If Rey is revealed as a Kenobi, it changes the entire paradigm of the series.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:33 pm 

i didnt read that article and dont care who rey's dad is (its a boring question imo) but your quote from it totally ignores how much of a gigantic prick obi wan was in the prequels and how he manipulated luke into jedi training in episode 4. like the whole point of the prequels is that the jedi order (and also the republic) was totally fucked and obi wan was an important part of that

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:25 pm 

crazydiamond wrote:
aside from the silly tumblr things, thoughts?

I think Ben's too far in the dark side to hear messages from the helpful force ghosts. I think that is how they work; you can only sense them if you are in tune with the light side. That's probably why Snoke is always on his case about him being tempted by the light side.

Anyway, mainly that just reminded me of this thing

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:11 am 

Harrison Ford has a real life son named Ben and I'm imagining this was all kinds of awkward at the set.

Last edited by Facts on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:07 pm 

oh shoot, yeah, that has got to be pretty weird

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:21 am 

So! I'm planning on watching this again with my mom pretty soon. Is there anything I should take notes on? I'm already looking out for Rey's flashes of anger during her big fight with Kylo, like Ryan mentioned.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:43 am 

Apparently during Rey's hallucivisions one of the voices is Sir Alec Guinness saying "Rey" so keep your earholes open for that.

Also don't miss the part where Max von Sydow tells Poe he could crush his head like a nut.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:47 am 

Okay, new theory: So there's these Knights of Ren guys that Kylo is a part of, right? We see some guys in the flashback who look like they're them. It's assumed this is the depiction of Kylo Ren's massacre of Luke's school, but according to someone on the story team, it's a different scene that happens before that. And we also never see any other Knights throughout the whole movie. Like, the other characters all call Kylo "Ren", which you'd think would be confusing if there are still other Knights around.

So my question is: are the Knights of Ren just some fight club Kylo started at Luke's school? Is that why he killed all the other students?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:32 pm 

Snoke calls him 'master of the knights of ren', right? Maybe they were a group he was part of and 'mastered' them all the way into the dirt

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:57 pm 

It'd go a long way into explaining why Luke secluded himself so much, too. Like, if it's one student that goes bad, sure, that's bad, and I could see wanting to take a break for a bit. But if it's a whole bunch of students, that's got to cause some self esteem issues re: your teaching skills. I'd probably move to planet fuck-off myself.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:58 pm 

the Irish tourist board is not happy with your characterization of 'planet fuck-off'

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:03 pm 

Tell them I mean it in the nicest way possible!!

But no, I was referring to how secret and secluded it was, not how awful it was (it looks pretty great actually).

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm 

Re: stupid Star Wars names, is there any obvious reason why the heroine is named "King" in Spanish while the villain has a name that sounds a lot like the French for "Queen"? Is this one of those "hiding in plain sight" twist-setups like "Darth Vader". Although I just looked it up, and "Ren" is also an important concept in Confucianism.

This:
Quote:
Ren (Chinese: 仁; pinyin: rén; Wade–Giles: jen) is the Confucian virtue denoting the good feeling a virtuous human experiences when being altruistic. Ren is exemplified by a normal adult's protective feelings for children.

is the result. Which, based on what's been said in this thread, makes me think the name may be more obviously ironic.

I still haven't seen the movie, it's just been bugging me for a while.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm 

Good sleuthing Tam

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:25 pm 

Ren is a dope who keeps being "seduced" by the light side of the force, so I would say it is both ironic and appropriate.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:18 pm 

so I knew Starkiller Base was named after Luke's original name or w/e
and because I knew that it took me until now to realize that in-fiction it's called that because it kills stars to fuel the gun
I feel like an idiot

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:32 am 

oh shit me too

Only thought of it as a callback/badass name

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:37 pm 

here are my prequel opinions because i was texting all this shit to a friend and i think they were getting very sick of reading it but i have to get it out of my head or i'll explode

when the rifftrax app came out with the free star wars riffs, i rewatched the first six films. well, i didn't rewatch all of 3 because fuck that movie is boring and i fell asleep. so i watched 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and most of 3. and i came away from this with the following opinion

4>5>6>2>1>3 with a giant gap between episodes 5 and 6 and episodes 1 and 3.

i liked episode 2 more because between all the bullshit i think there's a very good movie in there and i bet you could recut it from the theatrical release with no additional footage to make a movie as good as return of the jedi.

when i finished the films i thought i figured out the key number one way if you had a time machine and could also become george lucas you could fix the prequels: cast robert pattinson instead of hayden christiansen in episodes 2 and 3. anakin in those movies is a creep and a loser and his emotions are always at either 0 or 100000000. Pattinson embodied that character in his career making role as edward in twilight and has shown aspects of it in his later films, specifically cosmopolis. pattinson plays "overbearing creep" really well and i think casting him over christiansen would have convinced lucas to lean into the inherent creep-factor of anakin skywalker.

but today, while listening to the saga begins by "weird al" yankovich, the seminal parody artist, i decided that the picture of episode one that "weird al" paints is much better than the reality of it but don't worry. i figured out how to fix it.

the saga begins paints qui gon jinn as a pragmatic actor, posed against the static conservative yoda. comparing that to the text of the film shows qui gon as interested in abolition and resolution of the light/dark schism where yoda (and mace windu and the jedi council) as being more invested in upholding the status quo. but qui gon vanishes from the story at the end of episode 1. imo a change you could make in episode 2 that would improve the other two prequels is have qui gon be the jedi who ordered the clones from kamino instead of sifo dyas. set it up as qui gon going over the council's head, to build a standing army of peacekeepers to address things like abolition in hutt space and other problems with the status quo that the jedi don't have the numbers to successfully do. this sets both obi wan and anakin against the council for actual philosophical reasons.

this situates qui gon as a grey jedi, like jolee bindu from kotor or darth treya from kotor2 (or potentially luke???). i know a lot of star wars fans don't like grey jedi but i do and im writing this post so fuck you.

EDIT: i don't hate the prequels as much as most star wars fans to begin with though. "fix" is just a convenient word here.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:20 pm 

just watched the force awakens for a second time in an attempt to figure out if i liked it more or less than jedi.
i don't know!!!
the pacing is totally fucked and the pathos are entirely unearned and jesus christ the tentacle monster sequence is the worst thing but also when han says "it's true, all of it" and the a new hope score starts playing softly i burst into tears. i can't judge this film.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:15 pm 

Rogue One was pretty good, maybe??

So much death though.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:14 am 

The guy I saw it with figured it was to justify that none of the characters show up in the rest of the movies, which I gotta agree with.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:30 am 

Yeah, and also I guess this movie is just an elaboration on the line "a lot of good people died to get us this information" or something.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:31 am 

But I kept thinking that like, someone was going to survive.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 am 

List of characters with actual names that didn't die in the movie or shortly after:

-Leia
-C3PO
-R2D2

As far as I can tell?? Maybe that senator woman???

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:50 am 

haven't seen R1 but I know Mon Mothma is in it and Jedi and Sith so

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:33 pm 

overall a good Star War, but I really wish they hadn't done CGI Tarkin

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:36 pm 

yeah he should have been a puppet, like in the original

Post details Warn user

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next