Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Healy's Thread for Cartoons and Fun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:28 pm 

I figured it was time we had a thread for general animation purposes.

Anyway, in anticipation for the new DuckTales series, I've been watching the old one on Youtube. It's pretty good, I guess, but it's not as great as the Barks comics, and El Capitan is an uncomfortably caricatured villain, I think. What really gets me is how similar Scrooge McDuck is to Gravity Falls's Grunkle Stan. He even makes a her-aim-is-getting-better-esque joke in the first episode (although he's not in on it himself). It really makes me glad to see they're raiding so much of the former crew from Falls for the new series.

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Healy's Thread for Cartoons and Fun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:29 pm 

Also, how weird is it that our Scrooge McDuck figure for the 21st Century a literal goddamn crook? Is it a symbol of how much America has changed?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:03 pm 

On the third episode of the 4-part (?) pilot, and man, all these jokes about how hard Donald is to understand. I guess this is why they wrote him out of the show?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 pm 

Is Scrooge more of a crook now than before?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:37 pm 

Scrooge is as he always has been, I think, (i.e., a largely on-the-level, if ethically ambiguous, businessman), but I was making the comparison between him and Grunkle Stan, a character from the recently finished Disney series Gravity Falls. Both of them are greedy fuck-off uncles with secret hearts of gold and a complicated relationship with their families, but where Scrooge is mostly just a jerk and a skinflint, Grunkle Stan is an actual, factual crook and conman. I'm just wondering what happened to bring us to this point.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:43 pm 

I blame immigration

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm 

Nonono, Scrooge is the immigrant. Stan was born in the states. If anything it's a sign of how we've failed our immigrant ancestors or something.

In all seriousness, it probably doesn't mean much more than "Alex Hirsch thought it would be funny if a career criminal had to watch over a couple Disney™ kids". I just like overthinking this biz.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:31 pm 

I thnk Thorsby was asking whether Scrooge was more of a crook in the new cartoon than in the old one, but not sure.

Scrooge was often outright villainous in the comics, especially in the beginning, but even once he became the star of his own book he would sometimes appear as a villain in someone else's story. Even as a hero, though, comics Scrooge has way more unsympathetic traits than Ducktales Scrooge does.

It'll be interesting to see what the new Scrooge is like, and if they're really gonna have Donald in it permanent or just in the beginning like on the old show.

Also I got the Steven Universe blues. Why do modern cartoons have to have such awful scheduling? What happened to good old "finish a season then air it two episodes a week until its over and work on the new one in the mean-time"??

Last edited by Lagopus Lagopus on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:47 pm 

Lagopus Lagopus wrote:
I thnk Thorsby was asking whether Scrooge was more of a crook in the new cartoon than in the old one, but not sure.

Scrooge was often outright villainous in the comics, especially in the beginning, but even once he became the star of his own book he would sometimes appear as a villain in someone else's story. Even as a hero, though, comics Scrooge has way more unsympathetic traits than Ducktales Scrooge is.

It'll be interesting to see what the new Scrooge is like, and if they're really gonna have Donald in it permanent or just in the beginning like on the old show.

The new show hasn't aired yet, and won't air until 2017, but I have confidence that America is ready for jerkhole Scrooge McDuck to invade their living rooms.

Quote:
Also I got the Steven Universe blues. Why do modern cartoons have to have such awful scheduling? What happened to good old "finish a season then air it two episodes a week until its over and work on the new one in the mean-time"??

It's a big change from just a few years ago, when shows like Adventure Time or Regular Show would air seasons like a few weeks apart. My guess is that networks nowadays want to run their cartoons on more of a boutique schedule.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:51 pm 

Scrooge has been kind of a dick in the new Mickey cartoons, I guess. I mean, not much of a dick at all, but probably compared to Duck Tales it shows a promising dickward trajectory?

I don't remember the old show much at all but I'm assuming I would want completely different economic/political beliefs portrayed in the new one? Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Duck Tales secretly some kind of Reganomics/libertarianism indoctrination tool?

I mean, again, almost no memory here, but I do recall one episode that was kind of like, "paper money isn't real! let's return to the gold standard!"

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:57 pm 

it would be really great if the new show's moral was "Scrooge is the only good wealthy person in the world, and he's still kind of bad"

like just a whole bunch of episodes of him trying to get that camel through that needle

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:56 am 

Dezro wrote:
Scrooge has been kind of a dick in the new Mickey cartoons, I guess. I mean, not much of a dick at all, but probably compared to Duck Tales it shows a promising dickward trajectory?

I dunno, he seems kinda reasonable? I mean, sure, he probably shouldn't have forcibly kicked Donald, Goofy, and Mickey out of his house, and guy could deffo live without borrowing five bucks from Mickey, but in the one, he was just asked for a million bucks by his nephew, and in the other, he pays Mickey back with interest. In context they're mildly dickish, maybe.

Like I said before, what I find I really encouraging about the new Scrooge is that he's coming off the heels of Grunkle Stan, a similarly greedy asshole character, and the new show even has a few former crew members from Gravity Falls working on it to boot. That personally means more to me than what Scrooge is like in the shorts.

Really, I think the main problem with the old show is that the characterization is all over the place. Like, at the beginning of one of the pilot episodes, Scrooge is all "you nephews are not ever gonna adventure with me and that's final", but at the end, he says to Donald, "oh yeah, next adventure you come on with me, we'll bring the kids," which is just seriously odd. And in a later episode, the nephews actually convince him to lend them money for a movie or some shit. Like, Grunkle Stan is bit of a cuddlier character at the end of Falls himself, but it feels like more of a natural progression of his character.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, Dezro, have you watched Gravity Falls? Because you should really watch Gravity Falls.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 am 

Actually, everyone reading this thread should watch Gravity Falls if they haven't already. Take it from me, Healy, the person whose name is in the thread title!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:20 am 

I've been meaning to check out the show ever since Emmy Cicierega started working on it but haven't yet :/

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:25 am 

Oh man, you should! It's got great humor, some family junk, Matt Chapman as a writer in season 1 and the first half of season 2, Josh Weinstein of the Simpsons taking over for the back half of season 2, a central mystery that gets solved, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I forgot.

One caveat: there's a whole bunch of spoilers for it floating around the net, including the official wiki (i.e., you can spoil a major plot twist simply by looking up a main character). If you aren't aware of everything before going in I would stay clear of anything Gravity Falls related online. Like, googling solutions for the ciphers might be fine, but anything other than that is sketchy. BEWARB.

Anyway, here's a short minisode that gives a good look at the "feel" of the show. I dunno how you're gonna see the episodes, since they're not up on Netflix or Prime and buying individual episodes can get pricy, but you can probably torrent 'em pretty easily. Good luck!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:20 pm 

Got bored of DuckTales and moved on to Darkwing Duck. Now this is more like it! The animation is a lot more lively than in DuckTales, the comedy is funnier, and the characters are a bit better written. I think I'll run by the library tomorrow and see if I can pick up any DVDs for it.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:32 am 

Subject: Video Games: You Play 'Em

Healy wrote:
Also, how far have you gotten in the show? I wanna talk about some stuff with you but I'd rather not get into spoilers.

All of it, hit me

I agree about Bill - his voice really sells it, too. He's like the ultimate evil, but also just kind of an asshole, which puts him on the kids' level, if only in maturity. I love the bit in the possession episode where he almost immediately abuses the body for shits and giggles. Boy these arms are durable!

I want to talk about a Grunkle.

Once I get back to Illinois I'm finally digging into Stephen universe

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:32 am 

daniel wrote:
I agree about Bill - his voice really sells it, too. He's like the ultimate evil, but also just kind of an asshole, which puts him on the kids' level, if only in maturity. I love the bit in the possession episode where he almost immediately abuses the body for shits and giggles. Boy these arms are durable!

Did you read the interview over at AV Club where Hirsch goes into Bill's motivations for a bit? That build-up of tiny, almost invisible frustrations leading to a desire to burn the whole world down and remake it in your own image is a refreshing contrast to the "one bad day" most villains seem to get.

daniel wrote:

Stan's great, but personally what I really want to talk about is the author. (rot13)

Quote:
Jung V ernyyl yvxr nobhg uvz vf gung vg'q or fb rnfl gb cnvag uvz nf n fgenvtug hc nagntbavfg, rfcrpvnyyl ba n xvqf' pnegbba, ohg ur fgvyy znantrf gb or vaperqvoyl yvxnoyr va fcvgr bs nyy uvf synjf. Yvxr, gur thl unf frevbhf vffhrf erpbtavmvat gung fbzrgvzrf (bsgragvzrf) uvf vqrnf ner onq, naq ur yvirf va uvf bja crefbany Znory Ynaq bs oryvrivat ur arire unf gb znxr hc jvgu Fgna, ohg ur'f tbbsl naq jrveq va n jnl gung'f uneq gb ungr, naq qrrc qbja ur ernyyl qbrf ybir uvf "vqvbg gjva" (gunax lbh, Pnoovr, sbe oevatvat guvf hc va gur gragu gnooirefnel guernq). V'z tynq gurl obgu tbg ba gur obng va gur raq.

Nyfb, V whfg svaq vg xvaqn nznmvat ubj hfryrff ur vf zbfg bs gur gvzr. Uvf wbheanyf jrer onfvpnyyl ZpThssvaf, gur ivyynva jnf bayl noyr gb pbzr vagb cbjre orpnhfr bs uvz, ur jnf n sevttva' tbyq fgnghr sbe zbfg bs gur Jrveqzntrqqba nep, ur arrqf gb or erfphrq pbafgnagyl, naq uvf mbqvnp guvat va gur svanyr ghearq bhg gb or n ovt erq ureevat (ehvarq zbfgyl ol uvz, V'q fnl). V urne crbcyr gnyxvat nobhg rknzcyrf bs znyr "Fgebat Srznyr Punenpgref" fbzrgvzrf, (Qvpx Tenlfba trgf onaqvrq nobhg n ybg urer), ohg sbe zl zbarl, Fgnasbeq Svyoevpx Cvarf gbcf gur yvfg. Nyfb Qnavry jr gbgnyyl jnagrq gb gnyx nobhg gur fnzr tehaxyr, evtug.

Last edited by Healy on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 pm 

Healy wrote:
I dunno how you're gonna see the episodes, since they're not up on Netflix or Prime and buying individual episodes can get pricy, but you can probably torrent 'em pretty easily. Good luck!

okay, but if the Disney cops get me it's on you

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:00 pm 

bill is so so good. it really felt like he was capable of anything.

healy at the time I thought that character derailed the show in a way I didn't like, but you've given me a new appreciation for what they brought to the table

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:40 pm 

Dezro wrote:
okay, but if the Disney cops get me it's on you

BEHIND THE FORUM: wanted to follow this up with a photo taken through parted blinds of a rabbit in front of my house like "OH SHIT, THERE'S ONE NOW" (referencing the cop from the new Disney furry recruitment picture)

but I didn't see any all day. I think because coyotes have been more active around here lately. nature fucked up my joke

anyway Gravity Falls is pretty great

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:36 am 

Oo, nice! Dezro, post your reactions!

kier wrote:
healy at the time I thought that character derailed the show in a way I didn't like, but you've given me a new appreciation for what they brought to the table

Thanks! Rot13 again:

Quote:
V qvq abg xabj ubj qrsrafvir V jnf nobhg guvf qbbshf hagvy V ernq lbhe cbfg. V'z tynq V jnf noyr gb punatr lbhe zvaq nobhg uvz! Bhg bs phevbfvgl, jung rknpgyl qvqa'g lbh yvxr nobhg uvz? Jnf gung ur jnf n wrex gb Fgna, be fcyvg hc gur Cvarf gjvaf, be gbbx hc gbb zhpu fperragvzr, be...? Nyfb, ubj qvq lbh srry nobhg gur gjva gurbel, vs lbh tbg vagb gur fubj orsber gung jnf erirnyrq? Crefbanyyl V jnfa'g gbb vairfgrq va vg, ohg V gubhtug vg jnf n arng vqrn.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:52 pm 

Healy wrote:
daniel wrote:

Did you read the interview over at AV Club where Hirsch goes into Bill's motivations for a bit? That build-up of tiny, almost invisible frustrations leading to a desire to burn the whole world down and remake it in your own image is a refreshing contrast to the "one bad day" most villains seem to get.

daniel wrote:

Stan's great, but personally what I really want to talk about is the author. (rot13)

Quote:
Jung V ernyyl yvxr nobhg uvz vf gung vg'q or fb rnfl gb cnvag uvz nf n fgenvtug hc nagntbavfg, rfcrpvnyyl ba n xvqf' pnegbba, ohg ur fgvyy znantrf gb or vaperqvoyl yvxnoyr va fcvgr bs nyy uvf synjf. Yvxr, gur thl unf frevbhf vffhrf erpbtavmvat gung fbzrgvzrf (bsgragvzrf) uvf vqrnf ner onq, naq ur yvirf va uvf bja crefbany Znory Ynaq bs oryvrivat ur arire unf gb znxr hc jvgu Fgna, ohg ur'f tbbsl naq jrveq va n jnl gung'f uneq gb ungr, naq qrrc qbja ur ernyyl qbrf ybir uvf "vqvbg gjva" (gunax lbh, Pnoovr, sbe oevatvat guvf hc va gur gragu gnooirefnel guernq). V'z tynq gurl obgu tbg ba gur obng va gur raq.

Nyfb, V whfg svaq vg xvaqn nznmvat ubj hfryrff ur vf zbfg bs gur gvzr. Uvf wbheanyf jrer onfvpnyyl ZpThssvaf, gur ivyynva jnf bayl noyr gb pbzr vagb cbjre orpnhfr bs uvz, ur jnf n sevttva' tbyq fgnghr sbe zbfg bs gur Jrveqzntrqqba nep, ur arrqf gb or erfphrq pbafgnagyl, naq uvf mbqvnp guvat va gur svanyr ghearq bhg gb or n ovt erq ureevat (ehvarq zbfgyl ol uvz, V'q fnl). V urne crbcyr gnyxvat nobhg rknzcyrf bs znyr "Fgebat Srznyr Punenpgref" fbzrgvzrf, (Qvpx Tenlfba trgf onaqvrq nobhg n ybg urer), ohg sbe zl zbarl, Fgnasbeq Svyoevpx Cvarf gbcf gur yvfg. Nyfb Qnavry jr gbgnyyl jnagrq gb gnyx nobhg gur fnzr tehaxyr, evtug.

Lrf naq lrf.

Uvf orvat cerggl zhpu hfryrff rfcrpvnyyl! Vg fnlf n ybg bs gur jevgvat gung lbh pna erfcrpg uvz, jvgubhg frrvat uvz npghnyyl QB nalguvat gung urycrq, jvgu gur cebonoyr rkprcgvba bs pbagnvavat gur evsg - V qba'g ernyyl xabj ubj Ovyy jbhyq unir qbar nalguvat vs gurl unq gur bcgvba bs xrrcvat uvz bhg bs gur Funpx. Cyhf gur fabjtybor-rfdhr pbagnvare frrzf jnl zber rnfvyl oebxra/yrg ybbfr? Ohg gung'f gur jevgvat, V thrff - V xvaqn whfg gnxr uvf jbeq sbe vg.

V ybir Fgnayrl gb qrngu - vs lbh jrer jevgvat n fubj fcrpvsvpnyyl gb cyrnfr zr, ur'q or gur znva punenpgre. Ohg gurer'f fb zhpu gb gnyx nobhg jvgu rirelbar ryfr, naq zbfg bs jung V unir gb fnl nobhg Fgnayrl vf, "ur'f terng, vfa'g ur? Ur vf." Gung fnvq, ur'f gur orfg rknzcyr bs gur fubj'f novyvgl gb nqq n fnq onpxfgbel naq fgvyy xrrc vg shaal. V guvax vg zvtug or orpnhfr ab gentrql unccraf gung jnfa'g bhg bs abjurer. Ur unq n aboyr pnhfr, naq jnf chfurq gb gur tevsgre'f yvsr ol fnq pvephzfgnaprf, ohg gung qbrfa'g zrna ur'f abg fgvyy njrfbzryl funql. Znlor gur fvghngvba unccrarq nf vg qvq orpnhfr gung jnf whfg xvaq bs anghenyyl n thl jub ivqrbgncrf puvyqera svtugvat.

ZpThpxrg'f fnqqre, ohg uvz orvat n evqvphybhf punenpgre qbrfa'g fgevxr zr nf qvfgenpgvatyl fnq, fvapr ur pnhfrq vg ol orvat cerggl evqvphybhf, fnzr jvgu gur ragver frperg fbpvrgl. Zrnajuvyr, V'z abg ernyyl n sna bs jung V'ir frra bs Vpr Xvat bs Nqiragher Gvzr, fvapr vg'f yvxr ynhtuvat ng na Nymurvzre'f cngvrag. Abg fher lbh pna chg gung travr onpx va gur obggyr.

V arire fnj Ovyy gung jnl orsber! Vg znxrf n ybg bs frafr gubhtu, naq xvaq bs znxrf zr erguvax gubfr fbeg bs Vq-qevira punenpgref. V qb jvfu jr tbg gb frr zber vafgnaprf bs uvz whfg gerngvat gur havirefr yvxr uvf gbl, gubhtu.

Jung jnf hc jvgu Oyraqva, ol gur jnl? Thl whfg qvfnccrnerq sebz gur cybg. V thrff ur zvtug unir orra oruvaq gur zntvp ohooyr be fbzrguvat?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:24 pm 

Cu'atyhv ztyj'ansu Pguhyuh E'ylru jtnu'anty sugnta

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:47 pm 

Daniel:
Quote:
Ertneqvat Sbeq, V guvax uvf sngny synj vf gung ur unf gb or gur ybar ureb, gung ur qbrfa'g (be fubhyqa'g) arrq nalobql'f uryc (fnir sbe znlor Ovyy be Qvccre). Juvpu, va gur jbeyq bs Tenivgl Snyyf, vf n cerggl qnza frevbhf vffhr gb trg bire. Ur qbrf unir uvf ureb zbzragf rirel abj naq gura, naq boivbhfyl vg urycf gung gur xvqf ybbx hc gb uvz, vg'f whfg gung ur NYJNLF guvaxf ur'f evtug, juvpu gevcf uvz hc. ("Tenzzne, Fgnayrl," vf gur ynfg-qvgpu qrsrafr hfrq ol n zna jub ershfrf gb nqzvg gung ur vf fbzrgvzrf gur onq gjva.)

Ertneqvat Fgnayrl, lrnu, "whfg xvaq bs anghenyyl n thl jub ivqrbgncrf puvyqera svtugvat" vf n tbbq jnl bs chggvat vg. V guvax uvf znva ceboyrz vf ur qbrfa'g pner nobhg zhpu rkprcg uvf snzvyl, fb jura gung jnf gnxra njnl nyy uvf synjf naq vffhrf whfg xvaq bs gbbx bire uvf yvsr. Nyfb, V pna'g erzrzore; ner lbh jngpuvat Orggre Pnyy Fnhy? Orpnhfr guvf qvfphffvba ernyyl erzvaqf zr bs gung fubj.

Lrnu, Oyraqva'f jubyr cybg guernq tbg qebccrq cerggl uneq, qvqa'g vg? V guvax jung ur jnf hc gb jvyy or nafjrerq va gur Wbheany Ahzore Guerr obbx gung'f fhccbfrq gb pbzr bhg guvf Whyl. Nyfb gurer'f n PLBN obbx srnghevat uvz gung'f pbzvat bhg nebhaq gur fnzr gvzr; znlor gung'yy unir fbzr nafjref, gbb?

Also, so this thread doesn't look entirely like an incantation to awaken the dead, if I wanted to get into Rick and Morty, but could only watch one episode, which one should it be?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:10 pm 

when I pondered that question for my brother I decided s01e05 Meeseeks and Destroy, but I was only considering season one (due to Hulu restrictions)

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:17 pm 

ive seen quite a few ricky and morty episodes despite not liking the show because people whos tastes i otherwise respect a lot kept saying "okay yeah that one was bad, watch this one" and then i'd watch this one and they'd go "you didn't like this one? try this other one!" and it goes on like that forever

but the least bad, most actually funny episode i watched was the second interdimensional cable episode, the one with werner herzog

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:28 pm 

Dezro wrote:
when I pondered that question for my brother I decided s01e05 Meeseeks and Destroy, but I was only considering season one (due to Hulu restrictions)

The second season is on the adult swim website, if you'd like to watch it. But yeah, I've also only seen season 1 because I have Hulu and haven't felt like watching the second season on my laptop. I'd agree that the Meeseeks episode is a good one, or possibly the, uh, Inception one.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:29 pm 

Rick potion no 9(season one episode six) is the one that sold me on the show completely
The Ricks must be crazy(season 2 episode 6) might be better though

He could only step forward, and hold out his hand and say, “I’m not likely to forget you, Daneel.” “That is pleasant,” said Daneel, nodding gravely. “As you are well aware, it is quite impossible for me, while in working order, to forget you.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 pm 

It is definitely for me a show where
I have to ignore a lot of distasteful things to enjoy it

He could only step forward, and hold out his hand and say, “I’m not likely to forget you, Daneel.” “That is pleasant,” said Daneel, nodding gravely. “As you are well aware, it is quite impossible for me, while in working order, to forget you.

Post details Warn user