Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Endings
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:07 am 

The Cinematic Pet Peeves thread got me thinking about how many stories actually have a good ending.

Racking my brain a bit, here's what I came up with:

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (the manga, which has a different ending from the movie)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (original ending to the anime)
Crimson Empire

That's all I'm able to come up with right now!
Add yours if you have them.

Notes about Star Wars:
I almost put The Empire Strikes Back on the list, but that's pretty much a To Be Continued, and while I like To Be Continueds a lot, the list balloons too much if we start calling those good endings. Keep your list to good endings that don't hinge on anticipating the next chapter.
I also considered putting Return of the Jedi on here, because I love me some Ewoks singing about freedom in their native tongue. Storywise, though, the ending should probably be considered (or at least factor in) the confrontation with the Emperor. I like this scene pretty well, but not quite enough that it stands out as a particularly good ending.

Batman: TAS very likely has some episodes that should go on here, but no specific ones are leaping to mind rn.

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Good Endings
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 am 

You know what.
I'm going to give Shakeyman some credit and say Romeo and Juliet belongs on this list.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:35 am 

I also forgot about Christmas, which adds at least two

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:32 am 

Deadly Friend is a bad horror movie with an ending that makes no sense. And the ending is scary 'cause it makes no sense.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:43 am 

lots of things have good endings and lots of things have bad endings
but how many have true endings

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:45 am 

i thought the invitation had a very, extremely bad ending that undercut the rest of the movie but
everyone else in the world who saw it apparently loved the ending so what the fuck do i know
and am therefore recusing myself from this thread

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:15 pm 

Sure sure, this thread plunges right into subjectivity and differing opinions because we are different humans.

Just add whichever ones you particularly liked!

Or don't do that if recusing yourself is what you prefer!

Personally I haven't seen The Invitation nor do I know anything about it.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 pm 

Zach wrote:
lots of things have good endings and lots of things have bad endings
but how many have true endings

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm 

Kristiana says Wall-E/all Pixar ("pretty much") and Homeward Bound. Also 13 Going On 30 and Big Fish.

I think Buffy season 3 ended really well. I really enjoyed the first X-Statix arc and thought it concluded well. Moulin Rouge! is great all throughout. I'm a big fan of Ned Stark's story in A Game of Thrones; such a well developed tragedy. Robb and Catelyn's have good runners up here, but I'm still salty about the end.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 am 

Monty Python movies have good endings. Brazil has a good ending, too, even though I'm not huge on that movie. The Silence of the Lambs has a great climax, what with the night vision stalking and "Hip Priest" and all. I like the ending of Children of Men. The ending of The Cabin in the Woods is great. Also the ending of Evil Dead 2, and the original ending of Army of Darkness (and Drag Me to Hell, which is one if my favourite rug pulls). Alien has a great ending. The climax of Aliens is also great but I don't know how far back from close of narrative you extend "endings". Raiders of the Lost Ark ends well. I also love the ending of Goodfellas. And the ending of King Kong.

The Usual Suspects is a good ending. I remember Crimes and Misdemeanors having a good ending. Also I like the ending of Love and Death.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre has a good ending, and so has The Man Who Would Be King.

Mad Max 2 has a great ending.

I hated The Departed, but the ending is great just because of the ridiculousness of Wahlberg and the look of "Yeah, fair enough" on Damon's face.

Closely Watched Trains has a good ending.

I like the ending of Blazing Saddles.

Bringing Up Baby's is pretty funny.

A Shot in the Dark has a great ending.

Wait Until Dark has a great conclusion.

Trilogy of Terror is a three-part anthology, but the conclusion to part 3 ("Prey" - the one with the Zuni doll) is awesome.

I love the last twenty minutes of Lady Snow blood a lot.

I'm going to stop listing endings I consider good.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:31 am 

Zach wrote:
i thought the invitation had a very, extremely bad ending that undercut the rest of the movie but
everyone else in the world who saw it apparently loved the ending so what the fuck do i know
and am therefore recusing myself from this thread

I liked it but mostly because I think more suspense/horror movies should have unambiguously happy endings because how suspenseful is it really if they all end with either "it was a tough time but we survived but we'll never be the same" or "it was a tough time and now we are all dead and/or insane and/or evil".

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 am 

Wait ha ha ha I was thinking of The Overnight, not The Invitation.

The ending of The Invitation is nothing special. Totally standard suspense/horror movie ending, and yeah they could have done something way better.

Actually there is a very different movie called It's a Disaster that touches on some of the same ideas as The Invitation (in a really roundabout way) but had a way better/funnier ending imo.

Post details Warn user