Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remakes better than the originals.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:20 am 

What are some?

So far all I can think of is The Fly (the original is good but the Cronenberg version is great), The Thing, and The Ring (I prefer the American version).

Apparently Black Caesar is technically (according to Wikipedia) a remake, but I'm not sure if that counts even though I think Black Caesar is the better film.

Similarly, does Airplane! count as a remake of Zero Hour, or is it just a parody (although I haven't seen Zero Hour). Similarly, is A Fistful of Dollars a remake of Yojimbo, or just a rip-off?

Similarly, I think the recent version of True Grit is better than the original, but I'm not sure if that's a remake, or a second adaptation of the novel.

(On an unrelated note: this was prompted by the Big Lewbowski being on TV, and my thinking of True Grit, and honestly if the Coens ever want to commit career suicide they should definitely mount a film production of Blood Meridian).

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Remakes better than the originals.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Sh ... rors_(film)
for sure

Follow the 'innernet,' not the internet.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:22 pm 

Agree on Little Shop.

The Buffy TV show is way better than the movie, but I'm not sure if that counts as a remake?

I prefer Reel Big Fish's cover of Take On Me to the original. And the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole cover of Over the Rainbow is great.

Lots of jazz tunes are better in later versions, but I don't know if it counts when a major part of the genre is performing (and adding to) a general list of standards.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 pm 

does hostel count as a remake of eurotrip?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:08 pm 

I don't like the "better than" framing but I guess you could ask what cases exist where a remake was actually successful in some way that the original was not. In which case I guess I would say Ocean's 11, The Thing, and maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I guess The Fly remake definitely succeeded in a different way but I hate gross body horror so no points from me.

Meanwhile even though the Coen Bros True Grit is great and technically a quote better unquote movie generally, I don't think any modern western can be more successful than the original True Grit just cuz there is no actor today who brings the same contextual freight to Rooster Cogburn as John Wayne does. Like I am not saying John Wayne is a better actor than Jeff Bridges (he is not) but two hours of a little girl bossing around John Wayne (and by extension the entire western entertainment industrial complex) in the 1960s is not something you can really capture again in the 2010s no matter who you cast.

Little Shop of Horrors is best as the stage version (the ending is different and way more satisfying imo, but was changed in the movie due to test audience reactions) so I don't want to award either movie anything.

I also hate the original Italian Job so I feel that could be another one except I don't know the remake really brings anything new except being competent and not featuring a dozen unfunny British comedians but on the other hand the remake doesn't have anything that I remember as well as that killer Matt Monro song from the original so forget it.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:11 pm 

Also I did a quick google search to see if I was forgetting anything obvious and it reminded me that 12 Monkeys is technically a remake of La Jetee but they are in practically different mediums so how can you even compare the two?

One of the lists I looked at also suggested Dredd was a remake but not really obviously UNLESS they meant it was a remake of The Raid.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 pm 

3:10 to Yuma is a good example of a remake that is technically superior than the original in a long list of ways but still did not convince me that it serves any new or interesting purpose.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:27 pm 

Do Weird Al parodies count?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:09 pm 

I much prefer the new Stepford Wives.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:16 pm 

A Bear: I haven't seen either of those. I want to, though. The book was good.
I suppose I should have phrased it as "remakes you enjoyed more than the originals", but it was kind of spur if moment.

I agree on why the original True Grit is a good movie, and your reasoning for how it has to considered in context and such. I guess, for the purposes of this thread, I just like the new version better - I often feel like rewatching it, whereas while I liked the original I don't feelblike I need to see it again. Then again, I am not big on John Wayne (although True Grit, Red River and The Searchers made me realise that did actually make several very good movies) and so while True Grit is good, I don't really care about the extended riff on his screen persona that much, even though I do enjoy it.

Then again the 70s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is probably the better movie, but I'd also probably rather watch the 1950s one, so I don't know what I'm on about.

Similarly, The Thing and TheThing from Another World are both good, but a lot of what The Thing relied on was the shock of the new. It has a lot of great moments, and is one of the most important and influential films ever made, but ultimately boils down to being Frankenstein from Space, which hurts it enough to make me prefer The Thing even though I like the set-up from the original more.

(Incidentally, this reminds me of a remake I hated that a lot of people like - The Departed - which I hated even thoughit had a lot ofgood parts mostly because it felt like the whole film was overshadowed by Jack Nicholson's ego).

Also, I remembered another remake I enjoyed more than the original - One Million Years B.C. Neither it nor the original are especially good films, but the original is really only interesting from a historical perspective in most respects, and the good parts are overshadowed by the animal cruelty, whereas the remake (for two thirds of its running time, anyway) holds up as a solid (if dumb) adventure movie with great effects and action set-pieces.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 pm 

Also I'd forgotten about it, but the Herzog Nosferatu is in my opinion an improvement on the original, although once again the first Nosferatu was pretty astonishing for its time, but a lot of what is great about it is mostly great from a historical perspective.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am 

Nosferatu can coast forever on nothing else but that shot of Count Orlok rising up from his coffin imo.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 pm 

The Evil Dead remake from a few years back was really great, now that I think more about it. I wouldn't say that I liked it better than the original, but I think it was a great example of keeping true to the heart of the source material while also adapting it enough to be something worthwhile.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:48 am 

I ended up rewatching the original Nosferatu as a result of this thread. It is a much better film than I remember it being. I mean, I like silent film., but I'm not going to pretend that even at it's best it's not clunky and awkward and weird - still, I enjoyed the film .

The whole Demeter bit was weird and creepy in a good way, but the main thing I liked about Orlock rising from his crate was that his hands, which are covered in prosthetics and have giant nails, just seem way to big, and give thus weird, distorted effect to the perspective

Post details Warn user