Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bing movie screening person/people
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 am 

i can't remember who but I know someone (maybe multiple someones?) on here gets to screen movies for ratings or something like that.
How long before the movie is officially released do you get to see it? is it like a few weeks? I guess it's not the same for every movie, but what's, like, the average?

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: bing movie screening person/people
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 am 

That would be I!

It's hard to say because I don't really keep track. Some have been over a month, some have been just a week or two. Rarely there's some are less than a week. I would guess average maybe 3 weeks?

Like for instance the Robot Police movie was done on Jan. 21st I think, and doesn't come out until next week. Art Army Men was rated the same day, and comes out Friday.

Last edited by Andrew on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:50 am 

I thought it was you! but then I thought maybe it was someone else?

Ahh okay. So have you ever done one that's over 2 months? I would guess that probably movies don't get done THAT far in advance from when they are released but I have no clue how that system works at all, so I could be completely wrong.

I mean, I know there are instances where a movie is finished and they wait a while to release it because other movies playing at that time would crush it at the box office or whatever? (remember reading about that somewhere) but it's probably not a really long period of time.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:53 am 

Also do they ever change things about the movie after you rate it? I think I heard that some movies are rated and then if it's too high of a rating for their target audience they go back and cut things or whatever? or is that a preliminary thing that you aren't a part of??

Like have you ever watched a movie to rate it and then you see it after it's been released and it's different? or, like, do you get to watch it after it's been changed, to re-rate it? or do they have different people watch it the next time?

I am curious about your job!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 am 

I am interested too! Please describe everything in excessive detail.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:33 am 

It's potentially more than two months. I read something about Japanese Space Warship coming out soon in North America, and I definitely watched that in the fall.

Sometimes stuff will get changed, but likely that would be the American system influencing it (the crazy industry-self-governing juggernaut you have in the US). I just do here. A few times I've heard of this country's movies changing stuff because of us though. More often with Hollywood movies, if we don't rate it how they like they'll appeal it, which means they pay us to watch it again, with more and different folx. If we still all agree though, they're stuck with what we say (unless they want to recut)

Last edited by Andrew on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 am 

This is like the best-ever job, but right now I'm waiting to hear if I get to keep it for this year (or potentially even longer). So I am currently unemployed, waiting on someone in the Regional Organizing Body to decide if I get to keep doing it.

If you're listening, you beautiful wise well-dressed bureaucrat, I think you're the best! I know I can keep doing a great job for the people of this Region and I look forward to returning to work please!

Last edited by Andrew on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 pm 

Yesss I got reappointed bitchezzz

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 pm 

hooooraaaay!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm 

Gon' watch some mooooviiiiiiiies

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 pm 

I've been using my time off work by watching the olympics all night and teaching myself tenor banjo. Tonight I'm celebrating by doing the same thing but with cider

But seriously this is so exciting. I'm renewed for 3 years, which means I don't really have to stress about paying bills for a while, and can focus on art, plus I think I'm going to start volunteering. I have an interview to volunteer tomorrow.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 pm 

Anyone want to get drunk and watch the olympics with me??

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm 

Andrew wrote:
If you're listening, you beautiful wise well-dressed bureaucrat, I think you're the best! I know I can keep doing a great job for the people of this province and I look forward to returning to work please!

they heard you :)

now we can hear about all of the lovely movies that just came out. (I imagine you're not allowed to talk about them until they come out)

man now I really want Andrews job. Seeing every movie before it comes out? Awesome.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 pm 

I don't get to see every new movie that comes out, but approximately 1/5 of them, maybe?

Also I can tell you about stuff quietly but maybe via PM or just talking in code on the forum. We're not sworn to secrecy or anything, but we're not supposed to post reviews or the like, and as much as we like to think TaBB is our private playground, anyone can find it.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 am 

Am I still the only person a lil drunk and playing banjo while watching the olympics? Come on, team!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 am 

I ate a drumstick and watched David Letterman interview a snowboarding gold medalist? that's almost the same thing. I am not playing the banjo but I am studying for a test!

Andrew we live parallel lives.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:44 am 

Well now I happen to be watching Conan, so pretty much exactly

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:33 am 

I was gonna make a parrot thread called "bing movie screaming person/people", but you know how it goes: "whatever".

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am 

Facts wrote:
I was gonna make a parrot thread called "bing movie screaming person/people", but you know how it goes: "Wilhelm".

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:32 am 

$$$$$$

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:50 am 

.v. good

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 am 

You have an amazing job

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:42 am 

Yo I edited some stuff in this thread so that it maybe doesn't give away what I do precisely, so maybe I'll talk about some movies I've seen using code names???

Yesterday I watched "Fast Car Video Game Movie" which had a great cast and good fast car racing, but an abysmal script that was really casually sexist in a way that really surprised me. There was one part where the lead female (hilariously named super-pretty british actress ((one of only 3 women with speaking parts, only 2 of which are even named)) ) is talking normally and not especially annoyingly or a lot, and the lead actor (known for his career-making role as a young Methamphetamine producer) turns to his friend and goes "I don't like her, she talks too much". There's a few moments like that where the men turn to eachother and basically go "ugh, WOMEN" over nothing.

I also watched a great Polish post-holocaust movie and a documentary about lemurs.

Today I watched "The Hunger Games made so much money so lets make more Teenz in Dystopias". It was not good. The production design was decent and the acting wasn't bad, but the story and the script and the whole structure of the dystopia were paper thin. Then I watched a bollywood comedy about how much Indians and Pakistanis hate eachother, and a really quite subtle and touching Quebecois film about an old man who decides to sell his farm.

But holy shit this is the best job ever tomorrow morning at like 8:15 AM I get to watch "Marionette Puppet Heist Sequel"!!!!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm 

Oh man jealous about you getting to see that heist movie.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 pm 

I saw that heist movie!
It was pretty good! Not as good as I remember the first one being, but also I saw this one at 8:15AM without enough sleep so maybe it wasn't ideal viewing conditions? Anyway, I laughed some laughs out loud.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 am 

Is the lemur documentary the one that will only be in IMAX?

Does this mean you had to watch it in IMAX?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 am 

Andrew wrote:
I saw that heist movie!
It was pretty good! Not as good as I remember the first one being, but also I saw this one at 8:15AM without enough sleep so maybe it wasn't ideal viewing conditions? Anyway, I laughed some laughs out loud.

Not as good as the first one as in "Marionette Puppets Origin Story" or as in "Marionette Puppets Get the Band Back Together?"

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 am 

Either way, very likely to be a good movie.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:45 am 

Not as good as "Marionette Puppets Get The Band Back Together" but still definitely fun. I like Marionette Puppets a fair lot, so it's hard to tell if it is actually good or not.

And yes it is definitely the one on IMAX, because it was produced by the IMAX corporation but those sneaky buggers figured out a way to fit a whole IMAX movie onto one little DVD! Incredible! The movie wasn't very good but lemurs are cute as fuck so it's allowed to coast.

Today outside of the Heist movie I also watched "rock'n'roll Canadian director with a straw coyboy hat"'s new movie, about an unhappy marital situation, and "Horace Slughorn and His Wife go to Paris and meet Ian Malcolm"

Post details Warn user