[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Truth and Beauty Bombs • View topic - Truth and Beauty in an age of Discord

Truth and Beauty Bombs

it's different, i think it's different
TaBB Archives!
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truth and Beauty in an age of Discord
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm 

So it seems like there is considerably less activity on TaBB since the Discord started, but overall there's more interaction in the community than there has been in a long time.

And like, because the activity moved to the Discord to such a degree, it becomes a problem that not everyone has gone/wants to go over to the Discord. Like, I don't think I've ever seen Thorsby or Foes in Discord, for example. I'd prefer to not lose good people like that because the forum gets inactive.

So I guess I'm wondering: what role do we want the forum to serve now that some of it's role is being fulfilled by Discord?

Post details Warn user

Post subject: Re: Truth and Beauty in an age of Discord
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:06 pm 

It seems like text adventures and mafia and stuff like that is better done on a forum.

And like, picture thread, etc.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm 

To me, Discord is exactly like IRC was. Which means they're separate entities. So if you "lose good people" because of forum inactivity, then it's your own fault, because you are only interacting in one place.
The Role of TaBB is for TaBBers who don't want to interact in chat rooms for whatever reason. We will have our own conversations, and you will have yours.
I no longer go there because I forgot how annoying 15 people
typing
this
all
the time
is.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:27 pm 

Like, a message board and a chat room are two very different things.
A chat room is for conversations that move quickly.
A message board is for things that require long blocks of uninterrupted text, big ideas, and things that take a lot of thought.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:20 pm 

This is a good point. Most times what I have to say isn't important enough for a whole new thread. But, will try to mix it up in the future.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:54 pm 

the forum needs to become a place to spread the idea that gangstalking is real and that all of our brains are in danger

Follow the 'innernet,' not the internet.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm 

also Discord mafia would be really great imo

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:29 pm 

the forums should be for posting youtubes of rap songs and 10k word wrestling rants

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 pm 

petition to rename every thread i post in to "zach's rant thread"

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:32 pm 

I always wind up having a hard time keeping (and catching) up when I hop onto Discord, so I hope the boards don't die off :(

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:09 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 am 

i just don't think discord is for "keeping up"
it's like youre hangin with ur friendos

plus if yall are not listening to the tabb podcasts ur missing out
hella

http://gtfimp.com/index.php/podcasts/

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 pm 

The only solution I can think of is at the end of each day, some discord volunteer writes a summary of events and plot twists and enters them in a thread on here. Like TaBB's own little soap opera digest.

"Here's a list of puns. Here are the generated chat comics. Cheston made sure we understood what he was talking about this many times. Amanda talked about jawlines for too long. Meanwhile, at work, Melissa's customers were outrageous this way. Tommy laughed 9000 times." etc

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:35 am 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:56 am 

even though scrollback is def not great it still
is kinda a game changer when compared with irc that would
require you to keep a thing att to achieve the same deal

Follow the 'innernet,' not the internet.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:59 pm 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:23 am 

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 pm 

Amanda, can you give me examples?

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm 

your day to day chatting is mostly just that

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm 

That's not useful! Examples plz! Examplz.

Also the idea that I want people to know what I'm talking about when what I'm talking about is wanting people to know what I'm talking about creates some kind of bizarre circular paradox.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:26 pm 

If it helps I haven't noticed that???

But I am not sure I can identify your "thing" in chat so maybe I am just bad at this sort of thing.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 pm 

It does help a little! Thank you!

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 pm 

Next time I notice it happening, I'll point it out. I wouldn't say that it is all you are known for, or even that it is your main characteristic, but it has happened enough that if I'm throwing things out there randomly, that can be mentioned. I mean, Tommy obviously doesn't only just laugh a lot. But he laughs enough that I have noticed.

Post details Warn user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm 

I am a firm believer in the Jim Shooter era Marvel Comics rules, by the way, where you can't depict characters without including their name somewhere and they wind up describing their powers at least once per issue if they use them.

Every issue is somebody's first!

It makes sense that I would apply this to conversations.

Post details Warn user